• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with .45 Hatfield Flintlock ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsnyder

Pilgrim
Reaction score
New member here hoping for a little help. I recently purchased a .45 Hatfield flintlock. Not sure if I have a Hatfield made gun or a later Italian model. I think I have read all of the previous threads on the Hatfield but still not sure. There are no markings on the barrel or a serial number. I took the barrel off and do not see any markings, serial number, or evidence of markings filed off. The lock is marked “Hatfield” and nothing else. I don’t see any markings on the inside of the lock. The barrel looks more browned than blued to me, but I am not an expert. The only identifiable thing I’ve seen is when I removed the butt plate. There is a “P” on both the inside of the brass plate and on the stock in black marker.

Looking forward to shooting the gun for the first time this weekend. Just curious what I have. I appreciate any insights you all can offer. Thanks!

There would be Italian proof marks if the rifle were the Italian replica.

Take the rifle to the range. Shoot it. If you are getting fast ignition and reasonable groups, then you have a god rifle and really that's all you need to know.

Latest posts

Back