• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Has anyone tried these molds?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking at the Lee 6 cavity .490 molds at TOW, looks interesting but since I use a dipper instead of a bottom pour I don't know if it would work very well for me.

I used a H-G 6 cavity with a dipper before i had bottom pour.It was messy but worked.I had to pour front cavities first with the mold tipped slightly toward the pot. so i left the last two open for dip #2.About every 3rd cast i would get some in the 5th cavity but after a while i realized if i just poured in it it again the bullet came out fine. though there was a bit of lead left in there in the cavity it remelts when you pour back into it and let i overflow a bit.

George

I have used them before. Not with RBs but regular bullets. They are actually a better quality mould than their 2c moulds are. You can do the with a good size dipper and you also need a good size pot preferably 20# or larger because you will go through lead fast once you get going. Some people have a hard time get that big mould up to temp to where it cranks out good bullets or RBs in this case. I would think RBs would be easier.

Maintaining temp could be a problem. First might cool before you are finished pouring number 5 or 6. Multi cavity moulds are not as accurate as single. Serious 'X' hunters will use only a single cavity mould. (I know, I'm going to get some excited feed back on that.)
The mould will be heavy and probably tiring to use.
And, why are you in such a hurry? :wink:

I have to agree with the Rifleman on everything he said. It's hard enough to keep single, or double, cavity molds at the right temperature to cast fairly consistant balls.
Mark

These guys are correct. It can be difficult to keep this mould up to temp but it is still doable. You probably need to crank the pot up all the way. I never tried it this way but it seemed like a good way to go to get this mould up to temp. This is from another caster. Pre heat the mould is best and then fill the first couple cavities only and keep going until they turn out good and gradually fill additional cavities one more at a time until they come out good until you have all the cavities turning out good. Getting it up to temp is the hard part but you have to be quick and have everything you need at hand. Some casters find if they aren't quick enough by the time they get the mould working good the pot id almost empty.

"And, why are you in such a hurry?"

Not in a hurry at all, just saw it and thought Hmmm that looks interesting but I don't think it would work for me. I have single and double cavity molds and do just fine with them.

it will work fine.Its aluminum and heats up fast and will keep temp great.My HG is a massive steel mold and it works great.Many who have objections to gang molds have never used them.I have 10 or more 4 to 8 cavity molds i use regularly .Some with bottom others dipper poured.My go to .30 caliber match bullet is a 6 cavity NEI that shoots as well as the single i have of the same design.

George

Latest posts

Back