• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Harrisonburg VA 1764

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I found it:

Pennsylvania Gazette:
Perkin and Coutty at the corner of second and Spruce Streets, Philadelphia, beg leave to acquaint their friends, and Public in general that they carry on the Gun and Pistol making in all it’s branches, where gentlemen may be supplied with Guns and pistols of the neatest and best quality, on the shortest notice and most reasonable terms. They also blue and brown gun barrels In the neatest manner”¦.. May 2, 1781

Alas, it doesn't specify what kind of blueing they were doing, so it is no help at all. So that is a bust...

I did find a reference in Bivin's book to a bunch of guys armed with rifles and swords threatening a surveyer in early 1760s NC, which has nothing to do with the subject at hand but goes into my mental list of "Early rifle references from the South" and into the "Swords in the backcountry/frontier" list, though.

My RCA #2 came in and I've spent quite a lot of time in it.
I'm planning on carving the concave beavertails, an incised line on the back end of the wrist just in front of the comb (f. 124 d), fluted cheekpiece, and flutes at the bottom of the buttstock (f.124g). Possibly a hybrid incised and relieved C scroll or just a blank rear buttstock.

Is this idea disrespectful or corny? Since our name is BOWman (as in archery), I'm considering a thumb notch on the patchbox lid in the shape of an arrow, and an arrowhead shape following or surrounding the tang like f.125l.

Thoughts?

Henry,

I got a real kick out of this phrase you used "Since our name is BOWman.." as it reminded me of how Smaug taunted the BowMAN before the Bowman sent the black arrow into his guts and ended that reign of terror.... OK, sorry for going :eek:ff

In case you didn't know, that kind of carving around the tang on RCA Vol. 2, rifle number 125 was very similar to the "simplified" carving on the Patterns 1740 and 1742 Brown Bess Musket Tang carving.

Gus

Back