• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hardening Springs without a workspace

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the responses were about what I expected. Listen to Wick (LRB) as he is the only one here that I know- knows his stuff. I was going to suggest brine but from your original question of being in cramped quarters and no space for a big set up- I thought I'd keep it as simple as possible.
I make springs for folding knives and the stress is probably a lot less than than a main spring for a lock on a gun. Actually, I wouldn't suggest a newbie try to make a main spring for a gun lock- buy that.
On the refractory type brick- Wayne Goddard sold a book- the $50 knife shop. It had the one brick forge. I did that, forged blades, etc.- just using a propane torch, in fact that's the set up when I got the blade up to yellow and burnt out all the carbon. But- you don't need to do that. You can hold the metal in thongs and heat with a propane torch although a shelter area of fireproof material in which the metal is placed would probably be better.
In any event I've made springs as I described with propane, no special bricks, just heat as I said. Since brine has been mentioned- use that, This isn't a life and death kind of thing- I hope. Play around with it, on the color, I work in an enclosed area with low light so a heated metal shows more color than in a better lit area. You learn by doing, so try some springs- test until they bend, break, or fail. Quenching to a brittle temper isn't so hard, drawing it until you get to the spring temper, that's what you ought to focus upon. You polish to get the color spectrum.
The current springs I am planning on would be for a matchlock build, so they would be far simpler and more forgiving than a flintlock mainspring. I have some options to avoid making springs, but I was considering the possibility to help learn the skills for future projects.

What is your preferred method to temper?

Because I am a newbie, I was planning on buying spring stock from McMaster-Carr, to avoid some of the potential guess work and keep possible errors to the user.
McMaster-Carr will be expensive as you will need to buy a larger piece of material than you will need - I know I buy from them. You might look at Brownells web site for smaller amounts or maybe Dixie Gun Works I've purchased from them in the past also.

It is a two step process. First, you need a high carbon steel. It needs/should be annealed to bend and form it to shape. Now heat it a dull red, The forge of bricks isn't required and if you heat to a yellow you might burn out all the carbon. Okay....so dull red(this depends on the light- if a dark room it might be more of a brighter red.) Quench. It is supposed to be oil but you can get a flash fire so just use water. This gets the steel brittle hard and you want to take off some of this hardness so immediately scrub/ sand the spring to get a bright shiny area and slowly reheat to a purple to bright blue and quench. You will see the color spectrum in the shiny area as you heat- wait for the purple to start turning blue. Should come out as a spring.

The current springs I am planning on would be for a matchlock build, so they would be far simpler and more forgiving than a flintlock mainspring. I have some options to avoid making springs, but I was considering the possibility to help learn the skills for future projects.

What is your preferred method to temper?
Since you may have to do the temper by color you will need to go slowly to neutral/gray and stop there. Spring temper should be in the low 40's in Rc hardness and while that is even some beyond gray/neutral it would be easy to over heat so I would stop there. 725°f to 750°f is the ideal temp for springs from simple high carbon spring steels if done in an oven. Another good option is molten lead if you have a lead thermometer. Best if you can hold the spring under the surface for 10/15 minutes and then let it air cool.

Last edited:
Thanks for the book link! I always like to have the background information/science/the "why" for anything I am working on.

Also very cool you make armor! What medieval time period?
Mostly, wedge-riveted maille was my thing. The most elaborate plate armour I did (and where I did heat treating) were 14th century "Wisby" gauntlets.
1673044233145.png
1673044215441.png

There used to be a pamphlet for around $8 about making springs, Kris Ravender or something like that- hopefully someone has the correct name.

Start with a spring, that way you will know you have the correct steel for springs. You SHOULD be able to water quench... maybe salt water... but you may get cracks. Then you gotta use oil. There are air-hardening steels available, but I have never used them. Once it is hardened, you need to temper it.

Get some books. Read them. Expect a high scrap ratio at first. Ideally, you need a proper smithy, but you can get by without. Springs are probably among the more difficult projects for an apprentice blacksmith to attempt, but once you have your technique(s) down you should be OK.

Be careful, ironworking is ALMOST as addictive as muzzloading.

Start with a spring, that way you will know you have the correct steel for springs. You SHOULD be able to water quench... maybe salt water... but you may get cracks. Then you gotta use oil. There are air-hardening steels available, but I have never used them. Once it is hardened, you need to temper it.

Get some books. Read them. Expect a high scrap ratio at first. Ideally, you need a proper smithy, but you can get by without. Springs are probably among the more difficult projects for an apprentice blacksmith to attempt, but once you have your technique(s) down you should be OK.

Yes, LRB has good info. I would suggest that you do your own experimentation with a sample of your chosen annealed spring stock, say 1/4" wide by 2" or 3" long. Heat the strip so that the heat varies from a dull red to a glowing orange along its length, then quench. Remember where the varied heats were located. Now, begin breaking the strip with pliers and a vise, at 1/4" intervals and examining the broken edges. If the break is grainy, the steel was too hot. When the break is totally smooth, without any graininess, that is the correct red heat for hardening, imprint that color into your brain. Now if the sample piece just tends to bend rather than snap off, your red heat was too cool. In my brain, "dull red" is too cool, as I want a "full red", the color that I am used to seeing at around 1400 to 1450 degrees, a I remove a piece from a temperature controlled furnace, having done this work for 50 years. Now take a 2nd sample piece, and fully harden it to your idea of the proper red heat. When cool, polish the piece and draw a range of tempering colors along its length, from a light straw, through amber, plum, full blue, light blue, and beyond. Now, begin flexing this sample piece to the point of breaking. The sample will fail at straw color, and fail at amber, and probably fail at plumb and full blue. When the color goes from light blue to grey, you will have your spring, at around 800 degrees. Your steel and your results may vary, and you will learn a lot for yourself.
John

'

1070 up through 1095 is good and economical spring steel. 1095 should be left to those with HT ovens. 5160 is a great steel also. Go to a site for knife makers supplies, you should find a variety. The hardening is pretty simple, it's the tempering that is tricky unless you can cook it at the right temperature range. Oil harden to start with. Use canola oil heated to 125/30°f, or buy commercial quench oil. Do not bother with other types of cooking oil. The best for 10xx steels which is Parks #50. It is made for quenching steel that is rated for water quench, but you won't get cracks or breaks, and you don't heat it unless the ambient temp is below 75°f. Here's a tip on hardening. You target heat is 1475°/to 1500° with 10xx steels. Common table salt melts at 1474°f. Work out a way to use that fact and you've got the correct hardening heat.

New Jersey steel baron has a good selection of high qaulity carbon steels in various sizes. They specialize in provide small amounts of steel for knife making. I buy 1084 from them, supposedly 1084 is the highest carbon steel that will fully harden with a simple heat and quench. Anything higher in carbon like 1095 requires a soak (although it's very short for 1095) at a certain temp before quenching to reach full hardness.

Metallurgy and heat treating is one of those areas that you can get super scientific and worry about every little detail and use all the high tech gear. Or you can keep it simple and use some plain carbon steel and a heat source within your means and experiment around until you make something useable.

Heating steel doesn't have to be complicated I built my first knife when I was a young teenager out of an old file in a branding stove (basically a big piece of pipe with a propane burner on one end). I went on to build a coal forge out of a cast iron sink which worked well. There are lots of designs out there for cheap portable forges. Line a coffee can with refractory and stick a plumbing torch in the end, stack up a couple of bricks, etc.

For small sections like for a spring I bet if you took a propane plumbers torch and stuck it in the end of a piece of steel pipe (2 or 3 inch diameter by 6 or 8 inches long) I bet it would work just fine and would heat a little more even than just doing it out in the open air.

If you have the means or the desire they make little propane forges marketed for horseshoeing that work great for small stuff. I've made a lot of stuff in one my buddy has.

Also a charcoal bbq grill will get metal hot enough to harden. Some poeple make metal work into rocket surgery but it doesn't have to be.

Being the crude ill-lettered creature that I am, I've been making gunlock springs from scrap (leaf springs/pitchfork tines/car hood coil springs/etc) heating in a charcoal hibachi to a non-magnetic temperature (hang a magnet on a piece of picture wire: when the magnet is not drawn to the spring blank, you're there), quenching (typically in used motor oil), then annealing by floating the spring in molten lead (roughly 650F). Most of the time this works--but when I use store-bought spring steel and a heat-treating furnace, most of the time that works too.

As WyomingWhitetail said, it doesn't have to be rocket surgery. I was able to figure it out when I was barely a teenager with limited references. With the info on the web and easy availability of raw material via various suppliers, anyone should be able to do it. The only barrier is analysis paralysis, and the cure for that is to just do it.

With the info on the web and easy availability of raw material via various suppliers, anyone should be able to do it. The only barrier is analysis paralysis, and the cure for that is to just do it.
a lot of truth to that. The over abundance of information has been the main reason why i have been waffling on if I want to try making them. Might as well just go for it.

At this point, the tempering is the hurdle. The lead casting pot is such a perfect solution, but I would need to get the pot and lead, and at that point, my girlfriend might start to raise her eyebrows.

Back