• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hangfire from load kept in gun for 2 days

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so I will hunt for goex now that I have harvested my buck after I am done processing him. I know enough club members to get a couple of pounds of goex. I will experiment with the remaining clean shot on the bench with pistol and rifle and report my findings. I am just thankful I held still and made a clean kill . I have harvested 23 deer in 12 seasons and not seen one expire as quickly. But then again my only bow kill the deer went 10 feet my son shot a doe this year a textbook heart lung shot and she ran like heck. you never really know what you will see or hear or experience when hunting expecially with muzzleloaders and longbows .

When I shoot the trail I snap 2 caps load up and start the day. Clean at the end of every day. When hunting I go to the shop the night befor snap a couple caps, pull the nipple and blow compressed air in hipple hole till I am sure all oil is gone. Put in 100 gr of 2f and a bore buttered patch and,round ball.Then I relube the barrol. Put a fiew granes of powder in the nipple hole and screw in the nipple. That is it until there is a buck in the sights. I killed my buck this year the 3 day out. I don't think the powder knows if it is in my barrol ot a tin can. If I have a wet brushey day like we can have here in western Oregon I'll shoot the load and replace it the same way that night. My son loads every morning and got his buck the first day and sonenlaw loads as I do and also scored. Been a good year.

The method I learned and that has worked for me for many years in some very bad weather. Clean with alcohol to get all oil out. Put powder in. then place a layer of tinfoil over the powder then the patch and ball. This isolates the powder from the lube. Before you put the cap on the nipple put a small piece of saran wrap over the nipple then place the cap on it. This will seal the rifle from almost any level of moisture. If you use CCI caps they are fairly water resistant. At the end of the day remove the cap but not the Saran wrap. I have kept a rifle loaded an entire season of poor weather and not had any problems firing.

Othern

Zonie,

Look at it this way.

We had GOEX Clear Shot made with fruit sugar and potassium nitrate. Then we have APP (formerly Clean Shot)Pinnacle and Black Mag all made with ascorbic acid (vitamin C. For lubes we have one that is nothing more than repackaged Chap Stick and another that is a chest rub with oil of wintergreen.

While these products may or may not get you a deer there is no reason that after a long hunt you should end up in poor health.

But with all of these BP subs who will regulate them for the feds. The ATF or the FDA???

I wonder how the pioneers survived in the wild. Did they unload and clean everyday?

For what it's worth, I recall reading somewhere that Hickock unloaded, cleaned and reloaded his '51 Navies every day.

It sounds like a pain in the BUTT to use and it costs more than BP too?? What are they telling us is the advantage of this stuff anyway? Hot soapy water and Bore butter is about as simple as it gets to me! I live in a pretty damp area and I use musket caps for my hunting rifle (54cal T/C New Englander) I've purposely left my rifle loaded from Dec to May and it fired just as if it were loaded that day! If Bp is that hygroscopic that leaving it in the barrel is a bad thing, why do they put it in steel cans in the first place? :hmm: I know leaving a muzzleloader loaded for extended periods of time isn't a good Idea but I was getting to the point that I was losing all confidence in the loads firing at all after just a few days of being loaded so i had to prove to myself that they would! I do as one of the other posters does! I take it outside leave the rifle in the garage overnight clean it with rubbing alcohol and snap a few caps swab the barrel with a dry patch and load it! Then i just leave it in the garage at night after hunting and use it all season that way unless I have an oportunity to fire it! ( Hasn't happened yet) LOL! But at least now i know I can count on the rifle working when it needs too! At the end of the season I fire it clean it thoroughly and put it away until I take it target practicing! One thing that has helped my confidence out alot with BP rifles over the years is taking them to BP matches through out the year and staying familiar with them, not only for the sake of accuracy but also to find out all the little things that you think may go wrong during hunting season in regards to ignition and such :winking: I've rambled on long enough :grin: Great web site by the way I really enjoy coming here!! Its loaded with lots of infrmation and alot of nice people! Its nice to know there are still a bunch of people interested in BP shooting and hunting! Take care All Wes

Had the same thing happen to me last Tuesday. I had loaded it Sunday after cleaning it Sat. night.
I had a cap-only fire and picked the nipple and added a few kernels of powder. Should have shot it that evening, but like a dummy kept it loaded. My hangfire was not too bad, but the recoil was so soft that I think that big .58 REAL went way low out of my lightweight buscheflinte. Shot it this morning and reloaded with a REAL in the rifled barrel and a patched .58 roundball in the smoothbore barrel.

The power goes down the day you open it and keeps going down, I read of a test this last month of a yr long test and only BP didnt show a real drop,belive that one was close to 35 or 40 % a real drop. Fred :hatsoff: (will try and find that one again in the mag's but might take a week or two. :rotf: )

How about dropping a few grains of fffg in first before dropping the main charge? Wouldn't this help fill in the channel a bit?

Latest posts

Back