• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Handgonnes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree ... I don't see any practical need for use of a fuse on handgonnes.

The ignition is still instant, albeit the combustion might take longer in milliseconds. In regards to 'packing' serpentine, or more correctly, mealed powder, packing it too loose resulted might result in a fizzle whereas packing it too tightly and it may not fire at all (not enough O2 on the surface grain to combust). This is why the chambers were dsigned as Richard posted above.

FYI, there is a complete chapter on the development and use of the early black powdahs in this excellent book:

View attachment 175523
I have read that book and do think it’s a great resource. However, there is also this: The influence of preliminary period in handgonne shooting - Ethnographic Arms & Armour
While it’s original research on a forum, it does make sense given the context of period art and touchhole design. The Veteran Arms website repeats these claims, which does not necessarily give them any more validity, but is why people are trying it.

I have read that book and do think it’s a great resource. However, there is also this: The influence of preliminary period in handgonne shooting - Ethnographic Arms & Armour
While it’s original research on a forum, it does make sense given the context of period art and touchhole design. The Veteran Arms website repeats these claims, which does not necessarily give them any more validity, but is why people are trying it.
That's a very good little bit of research there. Makes me think I should experiment with the flash hole and make it slightly fat for the same effect. I'll make some serpentine powder, too.

WOW! back in the real time they used powder- wad- loose ball - and another wad over the ball.! same as I do today, not much has changed, although I use paper , hornets / wasp's nest instead of cloth, or brown KRAFT paper shopping bag wadded up. although I have used KRAFT shopping bags waded up and with no difference. jmho.

WOW! back in the real time they used powder- wad- loose ball - and another wad over the ball.! same as I do today, not much has changed, although I use paper , hornets / wasp's nest instead of cloth, or brown KRAFT paper shopping bag wadded up. although I have used KRAFT shopping bags waded up and with no difference. jmho.
Even grass has been wadding. Watching a capandball video recently about the ballistics of old guns, and some battlefield found barrels were examined, some of which were still loaded. One of them had grass wadding over the ball.

Fellas

I got a package

Attachments

• 20221116_121012.jpg
    20221116_121012.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 0
What should I do about those mill marks? Think they'll cover up when I rust brown it?
Draw file it ... but doesn't need to be perfect.

Use a mill file (grooves only going up the file in one direction or to one side, no 'cross cut' file here, grooves look lik 'X'), held perpendicular to the barrel. Tap file every few strkes or wipe off with a brush. I can do a flat of a 42" barrel in 10-mins or less, so won't take you long.

Just me, but I woud not brown it, as that is an early 1800s recipe. Cover it in mustard overnight or longer to age it grey or cold blue and buff back to dark grey or just paint black or red, (the more beat up the better ... ).

Draw file it ... but doesn't need to be perfect.

Use a mill file (grooves only going up the file in one direction or to one side, no 'cross cut' file here, grooves look lik 'X'), held perpendicular to the barrel. Tap file every few strkes or wipe off with a brush. I can do a flat of a 42" barrel in 10-mins or less, so won't take you long.

Just me, but I woud not brown it, as that is an early 1800s recipe. Cover it in mustard overnight or longer to age it grey or cold blue and buff back to dark grey or just paint black or red, (the more beat up the better ... ).
The brown finish is to replicate a look of aging. I'm sure you've seen where old guns can tend to turn brown over time. I thought about plugging the bore with a wax covered ear plug, and then leaving it outside for a while...

The brown finish is to replicate a look of aging. I'm sure you've seen where old guns can tend to turn brown over time. I thought about plugging the bore with a wax covered ear plug, and then leaving it outside for a while...
Why not just let it age naturally? All guns were new at some point.

Even grass has been wadding. Watching a capandball video recently about the ballistics of old guns, and some battlefield found barrels were examined, some of which were still loaded. One of them had grass wadding over the ball.
makes sense, green grass will make a wad & not burn.

Grass , dead grass was still used to hold shot in place in the 18th and 19th centuries. I too used it and it didn't seem to ever catch fire.
It was in dry times, and I used ivy leaves (green) for wadding. My guns shot as well as with proper wadding.
This was when we were shooting duck or pigeons over laid corn. (barley)
Can't leave them loaded overnight though, as moist leaves makes moist powder if left loaded too long.

Last edited:
Okay fellas, I did some wrong math. The charge it took to fill the chamber was like 115 grains, lol. I proof tested it today. I uploaded the clip to YouTube.

Test video

Okay fellas, I did some wrong math. The charge it took to fill the chamber was like 115 grains, lol. I proof tested it today. I uploaded the clip to YouTube.

Test video
Enjoyed your video very much!
Now, I am wondering if you could possibly use a filler (such as cornmeal) to complete filling the powder chamber when using a lighter charge. That would eliminate any airspace in the chamber - I would probably tamp the powder/filler in the chamber with the rammer before proceeding to loading a ball.

Enjoyed your video very much!
Now, I am wondering if you could possibly use a filler (such as cornmeal) to complete filling the powder chamber when using a lighter charge. That would eliminate any airspace in the chamber - I would probably tamp the powder/filler in the chamber with the rammer before proceeding to loading a ball.
I looked down the bore with a light to be sure the charge volume I had would be safe. The wadding being rammed should pack it enough I think. Now I need to make arrows for it and serpentine powder.

Also, I mounted it on a branch until I've sorted out a nice handle stave.

Attachments

• 20221204_125422.jpg
    20221204_125422.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
It wasn't a lot of fun doing this in the rain with no workshop..

Attachments

• 20221204_114501.jpg
    20221204_114501.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Back