• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hand forged grilling set

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron LaClair

In Rembrance
Reaction score
I have two of these sets that I use in camp. This is a picture of some venison ribs roasting over the fire at out squirrel hunting camp in the fall of 2011. The deer was taken with a flintlock in the early doe season that year. As you can see you can adjust the height of the rack. It's big and heavy but for a base camp it really comes in handy

TRR%20ribs%201.JPG

TRR%20ribs%202.JPG

The set also has a spit rod that can be turned by hand, real handy for roasting a turkey or venison haunch such as this.

TRR%20Ven%20hanch%201.JPG

thick strips of slab bacon pinned to the meat helps keep it moist not to mention adds to the flavor. It's hard to improve on deer meat cooked in this manner.

As it became cooked on the outside, slabs or meat were sliced off by the hunters in camp, note the squash in the coals

TRR%20ven%20hanch%202.JPG

I also noticed a few squirrel halves roasted n setting off to the sides, somebody got a shot that connected, nice outfit, like ya said not for trekking so much, but great for vous or a base camp. Guys I camp with use the spit all the time, roasts, chickens, duck, turkey breats etc, amn they turn out great and the use of the bacon is out ofsight great idea, really gives it a delishish flavor n keeps it moist at the same time

Backstraps for breakfast? :idunno: I know I know...too much meat ain't good for you...sez them that don't know what they're talkin about... :haha: :haha:

TRR4.JPG

The fire pit is a popular gathering place, especially when there's meat on the grill.

09-0919_0302w.jpg

The best times are after dark when everyone gathers around the glow of the campfire to tell tales of hunts gone by as the jug is past from hand to hand. Shinin times...wagh

TMA%20camp.JPG

The Tree Rat Hunters
09-0920_0029w.jpg

Those are shinin' times for sure! Great pics and looks like a lot of fun. :thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing this! :hatsoff:
By now I am quite hungry... :grin:

Silex

I have made my self a set but not quite as fancy ,one time I forgot them when packing to go to a rondy so I had to rig up some forked limbs and cross bar from a crocked sappling , ended up taking out 1st place for primitive camp . :rotf:

So y'all are saying that the ram rod ain't there for to hang hunks a meat over the fire? If'n that be so, why is it they make that pig tail metal tip, sept for to thread the meat on to. :grin:

The problem with the "inexpensive" a la wooden tripod or spit, is the dang park employees out my way always freak-out and immediately assume that you cut a green tree from the park, OR they freak out because you might have transported an emerald ash borer beetle to the park in your out-of-state wood. :shake:

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
The problem with the "inexpensive" a la wooden tripod or spit, is the dang park employees out my way always freak-out and immediately assume that you cut a green tree from the park, OR they freak out because you might have transported an emerald ash borer beetle to the park in your out-of-state wood. :shake:

LD
Considering you live in Maryland I'm not surprised........ Had a few issues with Maryland rangers when doing Civ War events and we were being safe and following all the rules. It's like everyone wanted us there but them.

I need some explainin fer this ignorant greenie. I see in your fire pictures you contain it with smooth river rocks. Now, this I've been preached to is a DANGEROUS no-no! It is said they contain moisture and will crack and EXPLODE with fire heat, and put yer eye out!! Is anyone here who can testify one way er the other about that there risk? Here at my settlement, river rock is the only rock we have, but I been skeered agin using them fer this purpose. Please confirm or deny. Thankee. :confused:

Any wet porous rock can "explode" when exposed to intense heat, it's generally a loud crack as the rock breaks in two. The likelihood of the rock going off grenade style tossing rock shards in every direction is infinitesimal.
You will also note in the pictures that the fire isn't piled up against the rock itself so while it will get hot it probably won't get hot enough to "explode".
When choosing the rock make sure it's not layered, like sandstone, and one not actually in the river bed itself that's hard and dry.

Great pics and it looks like y'all had a great time. Lookin' at that food made me mighty hungry. I will be having a slab of meat tonight. Wife not home, I'll eat to suit myself. Sorry for the :eek:ff I couldn't resist.

Here in western Colorado we have oil shale. So if you pick your rocks poorly, when they catch fire your whole camp smells a bit like burnt motor oil :barf: for 3 or 4 days. 1st time as a kid I thought it was funny, two nights of my tent, bag, clothes, & food all smelling & the funny was over. :(

Back