• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hand files

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy gaboric

32 Cal.
Reaction score
:idunno: I would like to know where others buy their hand files. The reason that I ask is I know you get what you pay for and I am working on a trigger gard for a CVA of mine that I bought that was missing it, anyway I have a nice Swiss Made file and it is great then I bought a half round file from Lowes it is a Kobalt and in my opinion junk. So if I have posted this in the right section where can you get good files? One more question can files wear out, because I bought some at a yard sale this year and I think they may be wore out. I am also new to bp shooting and have asperations of building long rifle sometime, but like everyone may wants exceed my $$$. Any info I would be greatful for.
Thanks,
Andy

hello,

yes, files can wear out. They will appear shiney and slippery when in use. Happiness is a sharp file! :)

yup, what smilinicon said- they do, regrettably, wear out with time.

the big box stores sometimes have good ones, and often not. my gripe with places such as Lowe's or Home Depot is that, often as not, the salespeople aren't really very knowledgable about their wares. if you can find a small hardware store and 'chat up' one of the sales people. the old guy in the back or the teenage girl (in that order) are your best bet. just ask point- blank questions.

other file points:

get a handle for each file you own. sounds like a forehead slapper, but you'd be amazed at the number of people who don't have a handle (both literally and figuratively) on their files and can't understand why their work sucks.

get a card and use it often- this will keep crud from building up in your files.

some folks rub chalk on their files before use. this will keep whatever crud you do get from working its way deep into the space between the teeth. some folks think this is a big waste of time,but it works for me.

good luck with your future build- if you don't have Pete Alexander's The Gunsmith of Grenville County, save up your bucks and get a copy- pricey, until you figure the value of parts you would otherwise have ruined.

One place that quality files can be bought is Brownells which specializes in fine gun tools.
There prices are usually rather high though.
Link http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=261/k=/t=P/mfg=/Products/Files

For small round files and flat files look for Oregon Chain Saw files. My local Ace Hardware store carries them.
Their prices are very reasonable and they are well made.

You probably already know what I wrote in this link but for those interested in files they might want to follow this link: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/9066/post/9562/fromsearch/1/#9562

Last edited by a moderator:
Home Depot usually has Nicolson files which are good, but their prices are high. I buy from
Link
They have American and Swiss files at good prices especially when on sale.

where can you get good files?

You mean , at an affordable price ?

If I knew , I am not certain I would tell ....

Files are one of those things that seem to have been forgotten
by modern industry .
Ever wondered how one can buy a router for less than 150$
but can' t find a good router bit for less than 80$ ?

Up to now , Nicholson seems to make decent files at decent prices .... when you find somebody who sells them .

I like Sears Craftsman files since they will replace them as often as I want. I have Nicholson and some others as well.

Flint Hunter said:
I like Sears Craftsman files since they will replace them as often as I want. I have Nicholson and some others as well.
NAPA will replace their files and tools also if they break or wear out. Just remember to keep your sales slip for a replacement. :wink:

Here is the first of three pages of results from searching for "file" listings at Brownells. It includes file care tools and products. I've never gone wrong buying my files from Brownells, and they have models ideally suited for gunwork, but not available in hardware stores.

Only semi-on the topic, but some of the most useful little files in my kit are modified ignition point files. Most of you younger guys are now saying what is an ignition point file? Long ago, in the dim ages, car & truck ignition systems used contact points that switched current to the coil on and off. You could replace points when worn or pitted, or you could file the faces flat and parallel with a fine toothed little file that is about a quarter inch wide by maybe three thirty seconds thick.

I've ground safe sides or faces on several of these, and find them useful for lock & trigger work. Also useful for making and modifying notches in rear sights, and repairing buggered slots in screws.

White Fox, in the Peoples Republic of Boulder

Back