• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hammer on my percussion revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Heap

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I carry mine fully loaded and the hammer sits down on a position of being between the caps, not half cocked, or with no caps. I carry for protection and this works on my revolvers.

canyon said:
I carry mine fully loaded and the hammer sits down on a position of being between the caps, not half cocked, or with no caps. I carry for protection and this works on my revolvers.

So, is this causing you a problem or are you just telling us what you do?

The Remington New Army revolvers have a notch cut into the rear of the cylinder between the caps.** It is there to keep the cylinder from accidentally rotating when the user places his pistols hammer down against the rear of the cylinder in the notch, exactly as you are doing.

The Colt pistols have small pins sticking out the rear of the cylinder between the nipples.

These pins are there to engage the small slot in the face of the hammer, the idea being that this will also keep the cylinder from accidentally rotating while the hammer is down.

Some of the revolvers made by the Italians left out these pins on their Colt revolvers, probably as a cost savings measure.

Because there are no "safety pins" on those guns, I don't recommend carrying these pistols with 6 chambers loaded and the hammer down against the rear of the cylinder.

It is far safer to load only 5 chambers and carry the gun with the hammer lowered on the unloaded, uncapped 6th chamber.

** Interestingly, when Remington first presented their Army revolver to the military it did not have these notches in the rear of the cylinder.

The Army immediately objected to the lack of a safety system on the guns (along with several other things they didn't like such as the cylinder binding up after a few shots were fired).

The next model Remington presented to the army had the cylinder notches added. The Army accepted the design and it was kept on all of the subsequent Remington military cap & ball pistols.

Oh boy you stepped into this time! We've knocked this one around a lot. The safety folks argue the hammer ought to be down on an unloaded chamber. The argument seems to be if you snag the hammer on anything and it pulls the hammer back and let's go, that hammer could fall on a capped chamber and you get shot in the foot.
Off hand, for that to happen the cylinder would have to rotate over to where the hammer dropped on a capped nipple. My revolvers must fit awful tight in their holsters because I've tried rubbing the spur on the hammer on a tree trunk to get it to rotate the cylinder over enough for the hammer to drop on a capped nipple and I can't do it but maybe it can be done.
Ideally, probably the best thing is to lower the hammer between the nipple but leave the "next" chamber empty so if some clown grabs your revolver and cocks the hammer- its over the empty chamber. If you lower the hammer on an empty chamber and cock it- then it is over a capped chamber- if that makes any sense.
On the self defense, five rounds ought to be okay. I'd load six but that's me- no kids around the place, etc. Nothing wrong with loading only 5- probably the best method.

Your situation...your call.

I think "we", today, tend to be a lot more safety conscious than "they" were back then. If you feel your situation warrants it, load all six. But be aware that the hammer can catch on a thousand different things and be cocked.

If your gun doesn't have pins between the nipples, a gunsmith should be able to install them. But they don't protect against a hammer accidentally being cocked. "5" is safer. But, again, your call.

:eek:ff Many years ago, I carried an over/under derringer in .22 cal. Shoved it behind my waist band. Once, getting out of the car, it popped out...it was airborne for seemingly a looong time. The "clunk", when it hit the pavement, was music to my ears. Shortly thereafter, I got a 1911 and never looked back.

I carried the 1911 Condition One - "cocked and locked". One day, out of curiosity, I tried Condition Two - hammer down on a loaded chamber. Within 15 minutes I had bumped against a chair arm rest, and now had a cocked gun, safety off! I immediately went back to Condition One.

canyon said:
I carry mine fully loaded and the hammer sits down on a position of being between the caps, not half cocked, or with no caps.
Holiday-Inn-Express.jpg

I have a 1970's vintage 1860 army repro with very minimal pins. I only load 5 if I'm carrying it. I will load 6 when target shooting and will be capping at the line and firing at that time. My 1858 Remmys I load 6 with the hammer in the notch between cylinder.

I have a newer Pietta 1860 army repro and it has prominate pins, but I still only load 5 if carrying.

If loaded for any length of time I only load five. Even on my cartridge SAA .44 mag I almost always only load five.

At the range I have sometimes loaded six unless it is prohibited.

Many ranges require that only five be loaded on a six shot revolver and four on a five shot revolver if using cap and ball or cowboy style revolvers.

As mentioned earlier that pin or notch may not guarantee that it stays off the next cap.

I can think all kinds of situations where the hammer's thumb hook can catch on something and possibly advance the cylinder even if in a holster.

Added insurance to prevent this in a holster might be to have a leather loop thong holding the hammer a bit more securely. It will not prevent an accidental hooking completely, but it can help.

Even better would be the near full cover holsters of the Civil war reenactors. This covers the hammer completely and adds a little weatherproofing.

Since somehow a cap & ball revolver is being considered as a possible self defense weapon, the following paragraphs might apply.

If someone has a .44 and can't finish off what they need to in three to five shots they need examine their relationship with whatever power might be greater than them at that moment.

If dealing with people who forget their own mortality and civility, it would be a good thing to train at targeting vitals, not as many shots will be needed and best to have a good lawyer ready afterwards. If there are too many baddies in human form, see the previous statement about greater powers and think carefully about it.

I sometimes imagine myself in some dealing with a bear, so maybe an extra shot might not be so bad, but not if it accidently splits open my leg; even though I have that extra shot, a spear or lance along with those shots in a hostile bear situation would make me feel a little more safe than having an extra shot.

I am not offering advice, just telling folks what I do. Others here had said it's a personal choice, and they are right I believe. I will not tell anyone how to do anything, many have good ideas I enjoy reading about.

I am not trying to tell anyone how to do anything, just stating what I do, my personal preference. I know lots of folks will disagree, and that's fine and their choice, whatever blows your hair back. This is just my personal way. :surrender:

Fine.
That's why I started my comment by asking,

"So, is this causing you a problem or are you just telling us what you do?" and then giving folks a bit of history behind the reason there are safety pins or notches on the rear of Cap & Ball pistol cylinders.

I also thought it was important to mention that some Italian reproductions failed to include the small pins on the rear of their Colt cylinders.

Have a 'good one!". :)

Zonie said:
I also thought it was important to mention that some Italian reproductions failed to include the small pins on the rear of their Colt cylinders.

Zonie, this comment caused me to notice the pins on my Uberti. I've had the revolver, an 1851, for about five years and never paid any attention to them. They work! Thanks

Back