• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Had to let her go 😢

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1967 I started working for the phone company. Starting pay $65.00 a week. 30 years later I retired, base pay $900 a week. Same job same work. Bought a house in 1970 for $12,500. This year the citify accesses same house for $350,000. I believe they call it INFLATION. 😳

You did good. While your wage increased 13.85x by investing in a house your worth increased 28x. It's like my father said, "Inflation is like a river. You can stand on the shore and watch everything go past or get your boat in the water and go with it."

You did good. While your wage increased 13.85x by investing in a house your worth increased 28x. It's like my father said, "Inflation is like a river. You can stand on the shore and watch everything go past or get your boat in the water and go with it."
Do you pay property tax? Insurance? The brother’s pay went to 900 a week, but now he’s paying taxes and insurance on a 350,000 dollar house… with money that he is taxed on already, by both the state and the feds.
-Red, slightly irritated with homeowners insurance rates at the moment…

I do and I don't like it any more than the next guy (the ol' death & taxes thing) but if he rented those same costs would be passed on to him anyway without any equity growth. By buying (getting his boat in the water), he freezes the house cost at $12,500 and gets the full equity growth ($350,000 - $12,500). A renter sees those costs rising at 28x but salary increasing 13.85x and worst of all, equity growth is $0.

Michael, don't row the boat ashore! ;-D

I do and I don't like it any more than the next guy (the ol' death & taxes thing) but if he rented those same costs would be passed on to him anyway without any equity growth. By buying (getting his boat in the water), he freezes the house cost at $12,500 and gets the full equity growth ($350,000 - $12,500). A renter sees those costs rising at 28x but salary increasing 13.85x and worst of all, equity growth is $0.

Michael, don't row the boat ashore! ;-D
Problem is, all the houses have gone up. He doesn’t make any money unless he sells, the capital gains is going to hit him at, what is it right now, 38%? And then where does he live? He would blow all the money buying a new house, AFTER giving Uncle his cut, and be in a lower value home than before… only way for that to have made him money is if he had rented it out all those years. Now, owning rental property, there is where the inflation helps you, except for all the deadbeat renters that destroy your house, so you have to remodel the house whenever they move out… yeah, I’ve played that game as well.
Inflation helps no one.

I was wrong on the capital gains on your house…
Back to original thread:
NEVER sell a gun. Unless you’re selling it to me for a really good deal!
I only miss the nice revolvers I’ve sold, and one sweet 25-06. Other than that, meh, they’re guns.
Now, all my “family guns”, never ever selling them. Way too much history.
-Red, known to be wrong…

Last edited:
In 1974 I bought my home in Md, and paid $45,950.00. After retiring I sold it for $147,900,00 during the housing boom in the 80's. I moved to Az. and bought a home for $98,000.00 and it is now appraised at 148,000,00. Amazing. Taxes, it's all about taxes.

“Indian Chief, “Two Eagles,” was asked by a white government official:
- “You have observed the white man for 90 years. You’ve seen his wars and his technological advances. You’ve seen his progress, and the damage he’s done.”

The Chief nodded in agreement. The official continued:
- “Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?”

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.:
- “When white man find land, Indians running it. No taxes, No debt, Plenty buffalo, Plenty beaver, Clean Water; Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; All night having sex.”

Then the chief leaned back and smiled:
- “Only white man dumb enough to think he can improve system like that.”

Just this morning I was contemplating a new .308 bolt action Unmen.

So I went looking. 600 bucks. 900 bucks. 1,200 bucks. A quality scope 300 bucks.

Twenty years ago, all of these prices would be well under half. You could buy a bare bones bolt action for 249 bucks on sale. Not no mo.

I decided that my cobbled together 69 dollar surplus 8mm Mauser and 150 dollar scout scope that shoots .290 MOA at 50 yards will suit me just fine.
Savage.

I always sold to have money for the next purchase. Now looking back there are some I wish I still had. Others, I don’t miss. However, if I wouldn’t have sold them I wouldn’t have what I have now. And I’m not selling anymore. I am always looking to replace some of my favorites from the past. Unfortunately it’s at 5 times the price....

Fun thing selling my old things at gunshows is seeing the gleam in a buyer's eye as they pick up something I've tripped over, shuffled, or cursed for decades. We know that feeling ..."Golly Gee! A genuine left-hand lock for a Belgian 16 gauge double barrel! All it's missing is ..." Yup. That's what I thought in 1970 when I bought it for $10.00. Gimme five bucks.

Junk's junk. "One man's junk is another man's treasure." I say "Nay-Nay" if it's anything I've bought that needed real work or obscure parts. By the time I've acquired the parts, a whole one in good shape could've been mine. Cheaper.

Was time to let it go. Damn. With the value of these things unless you love it you just gotta let it go
I been there. Did it enough times to know to never do it again. The Money we get is gone very soon and we likely won't remember where, but you will remember the gun and regret letting it it forevermore.

Latest posts

Back