• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

H&A peep sight & buggy rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ETerry,

Speaking of very nice!!!;) That is a wonderful Hilliard !!!
Funny I also have a friend that acquired an original Hilliard. The bore was kinda messed up so he had Mark DeHaas bore it out and re-rifle it. Pat's rifle has a nice fit and feel when you shoulder it..

Like the tub of parts below you bench..

Respect Always
Metalshaper / Jonathan

It's my understanding from studying on underhammers that the first ones were flinters. But about the same time it was figured out that a flinter could fire upside down the percussion cap was patented and most were made in percussion.
There were undehammers used in the early parts of the civil war but they found out the caps would drop off when they were charging enemy lines so they stopped using them. Can't remember where I read that but remember it from somewhere.
I love my h&a buggy rifle.

ETerry,

Funny I also have a friend that acquired an original Hilliard. The bore was kinda messed up so he had Mark DeHaas bore it out and re-rifle it. Pat's rifle has a nice fit and feel when you shoulder it..

Respect Always
Metalshaper / Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan... I'd like to make a rear sight like it for my Billinghurst, but the coolest thing is the single set trigger... it's amazing!

Thanks Jonathan... I'd like to make a rear sight like it for my Billinghurst, but the coolest thing is the single set trigger... it's amazing!
Eterry,

Could you show me a pic of the trigger mechanism ? My bud Marlow and I have speculated as to how they did them? Seen pics of target underhammers just no pic of the internals

Respect Always
Metalshaper / Jonathan

I built a Blue Grouse copy of the H&A. Mine is a little different with a threaded, not pinned barrel. It also has a barrel sight, a Lyman tang sight, and scope blocks for a Lyman STS or Unertl SG scope.

The Lyman (#1 or #2, I forget) made for the Remington Model 14, makes a great sight that allows you to shoot barrel sights or flip it up and shoot a longer distance. My barrel sights are set for 100 yds. The barrel sights set for 200.

ETerry,

Respect Always
Metalshaper / Jonathan
You must live in Missouri or close. I have 3 DeHass barrels. Excellent

I may sell my underhammer light bench gun. The lock was made by Michael Pierce (Hawkeye)from Berryville. It has a full length one inch .50 slow twist Green Mountain
barrel. Redfield Palma rear sight and International front sight with Redfield and Lee Shaver inserts.A front rest also included. It has won several group matches. Dont shoot paper anymore, just novelty steel offhand. Will get pictures and list all the extras asap. No price as yet

You must live in Missouri or close. I have 3 DeHass barrels. Excellent
I'm in one of the 'burbs' on the Kansas side of Kansas City. Pat, the owner of the Hilliard lives in Topeka...

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Oh what I'd give for about 10 minutes with that box of parts under the table on the floor in the picture. Looks like alot of schuetzen style plates and trigger guards in there. Oh and really nice rifle also. Would you happen to have a few pictures of that rear sight?
Prost!

I wish the shop and parts were mine, btw, that's not me in the pic, but a good friend who's helping me build a LH Isaac Haines. When I first came to his shop the parts (buttplates, guards, etc) was in a Large wooden box and one man couldn't pick it up. Ken let me dig thru there for parts, then gave the Box with half the parts to his G-son, who also builds ML's. He wont sell parts from the box to me, but wont take my money either when I need something; a good friend and true brother.

I wish the shop and parts were mine, btw, that's not me in the pic, but a good friend who's helping me build a LH Isaac Haines. When I first came to his shop the parts (buttplates, guards, etc) was in a Large wooden box and one man couldn't pick it up. Ken let me dig thru there for parts, then gave the Box with half the parts to his G-son, who also builds ML's. He wont sell parts from the box to me, but wont take my money either when I need something; a good friend and true brother.

That's Awesome. He is a Grand Resource and mentor, you are truly blessed my friend.

Hi,
That Hilliard is a fine looking rifle !
Anybody that has shot a well tuned underhammer is hooked, they may wander to other designs, but the underhammer will always stand out as a great target gun.

Back