• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

H&A peep sight & buggy rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walruskid1

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I've had the sight in my parts box for years and finally found a rifle to go with it. A nice buggy rifle to go with my off hand. I sold my heavy Target underhammer years ago and kept a spare rear sight. I was happy to see that the buggy rifle was drilled and tapped. IMG_20181221_184609492.jpg 1545436836429895756449.jpg

.45 depending on which rifle I use either a .440 round ball with a .015 patch or a .445 with a .010 patch

I have one that's kind of rectangular. Someone gave it to me. Very simple. Went crazy (not a long trip) & bought a few of those things. Numrich used to sell them. Should have bought them back then instead of now. Great guns! Even got a cutaway model. Why anyone needed a cutaway is beyond me??

What a great looking rifle, Super job! What caliber is it? I'd love to see some more pics.

What a great looking rifle, Super job! What caliber is it? I'd love to see some more pics.
.45 caliber, 1" a few barrel approximately 31" long.
Under rib is wooden, ramrod pipes were banded in an attempt to resemble the frame.. I'll get more pics when I'm on a computer n not this tablet ( that seems to hate photos )

The double set mechanism is a selfish result of being told ' better gun builders than you have tried and can't make a working double set underhammer ' the inserted works function in about 3.5" of space BTW

Truthfully an UH, if made properly doesn't require a D trigger.. I plan on remaking the works to be a single trigger, since I found a week spot/Crack in the original piece..

Respect Always
Metalshaper / Jonathan

Back east , where the underhammer flourished originally... were also in areas of of devout church goers.. the story goes that after the services, families gathered to picnic.. afterwards the gentlemen wandered off to have impromptu shooting matches? The guns were small 'buggy rifles' that could be carried in their transportation and not take up much space. Finer versions had take - down stocks or removable barrels and we're fit into light carry cases.. complete with bullet molds, powder flasks and tools to maintain them..

That's how some say they got the name?

Respect Always
Metalshaper / Jonathan

I've only heard Buggy Rifle applied to H&A underhammer rifles. I suspect H&A coined the phrase but don't know.
Back in the day, the underhammer buggy guns went by such names as..Hilliard, Kendall, Ruggles, Carliton, Cook, Bacon, and Billinghurst to name a few. Hopkins and Allen were not even thought of back then!

At some traditional muzzleloading groups/competitions the H&A underhammers are not allowed to compete! Since they are a "modern" designed firearm... now before anyone mentions the generic CVA, Lyman, TC guns being modern,,, their overall design is tradional .. one club questioned my use of a Mule ear rifle

Respect Always
Metalshaper / Jonathan

Back