• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Guns of Bent's Fort

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.S. Colt

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got back from a visit to Bent's Fort on the Santa Fe Trail. They had a number of guns there, and I was remiss in not getting any details on them. Anyone have any info regarding these? Or anyone willing to hazard a guess from the pics?

Thanks
J.S.
gun1.jpg
gun2.jpg
gun3.jpg
gun4.jpg

They've got some neat stuff there. I think they have reenactments down there periodically.

You might contact the staff at the fort through their website, http://www.nps.gov/beol/

From the position of the swivel gun on the west wall, on a clear day you can see both Pikes Peak and the Spanish Peaks. This is supposed to be the first place that you can see both of them. The swivel gun has a bore, but the last time I looked, did not have the touchhole drilled.

The carriage on the carronade is way out of proportion, it is much too tall and is not original. It was constructed by some summer help about 10 years ago from some pictures in an old book. If the cannon were fired, it would flip that bugger right off the east wall, but since everything there is done by donated help, no one has come forward to make a correct one.

I dont have any info on the 4 pounder field gun outside the wall. We will be going up again this fall, now that I am curious, I shall ask.

:bow: Dunno about that carronade---however from the height of the "loupes" on that wall---it might have well been deliberately built to that height to clear those "gun ports." Even if built from a picture used by a volunteer crew, it may just as well be a true "copy" of an original found on the property, I don't believe that that particular height be an "accident" IMHO. :hatsoff:

Here's another pic of the Corranade:
corsm.jpg

Didn't actually seem to be tall enough to shoot thru the loupe; contrary to how it looks in the pics, the muzzle comes up a bit below the opening. I suppose placement could be the key, though.
Thanks for the comments, BTW.
J.S.

:v Quite possibly since the picture doesn't show the view from the rear of the piece along the barrel line. However with that elevation wedge brought more towards the rear of the piece, might just be enough elevation. Whether the gun was intended for high angle fire a la howitzer or what----interesting---quien sabe amigo???? :hatsoff:

What might be missing are two wooden ramp 'wedges', one under each set of wheels.

The wedges are high enough that when the cannon is mounted on them, the muzzle is in the center of the firing port.

When the cannon is fired, running back 'up' the wedge ramps absorbs some of the recoil (there should also be two mounting points for the recoil line, even if they're only stakes in the ground on either side of the gun).

I've seen that wedge ramp trick somewhere, just can't remember where.

Back