• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Sock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today was Rainy and generally snotty outside so i took some time and a yard-ish of pillow tickling I had laying around for patches and made a gun sock!

Has anyone made any projects from Pillow Tickling? I am unsure how durable of a gun sock this will be but better then nothing.
Gun Sock.jpg

I had one like that for a flintlock. It only lasted a couple years before the hammer and frizzen rubbed holes in it.

I also made some ball bags with pillow ticking. They looked good but didn’t work as good as expected.

Dirigo.......You have inspired me to make a longrifle case. Well sorta.....The wife has a sewing machine , and I can get some thick camo cloth at a surplus store. Always wanted a camo long rifle case. Not sure what this will COST me , but worth a try , might get lucky.

Dirigo.......You have inspired me to make a longrifle case. Well sorta.....The wife has a sewing machine , and I can get some thick camo cloth at a surplus store. Always wanted a camo long rifle case. Not sure what this will COST me , but worth a try , might get lucky.
Good luck! you should share your results, Mine was easy to make and a good excuse to learn a new skill like sewing.

Tell us how you made your sock. My wife has interest in making one for me. She's not sure how to go about it.
Well it started with a old gun sock I had that was ripping where the hammer would sometimes fetch up on the fabric.

I ripped the seam "splaying" the sock open
20240328_172845.jpg

I then layed the old sock on top of the pillow tickling I had and cut the shape out with sizers.

Then it was simply finding the center line, folding together to make the "sock" and sewing the two sides along the open edge to close it.

I have attached photos of the old sock with the measurements.

The "closed toe" starts at about 5 inch, and slowly opens up to 8" then 10" then 13". Total length is 63 inch for mine, I would have the sock be 10 inches longer then your rifle to create a "fold back" to secure the rifle in the sock.

Attachments

• 20240328_172903.jpg
    20240328_172903.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240328_172912.jpg
    20240328_172912.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240328_172938.jpg
    20240328_172938.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240328_172945.jpg
    20240328_172945.jpg