• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

gun show find - CVA Moutain Stalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cayugad said:
I took the butt plate off and put 1.5 pounds of #4 buckshot in the hollow stock. This took the bite out of the rifle.

I suspect that you already know this, but for the benefit of others who want to do the same.... Please make certain that ANY weight that you add to the hollow buttstock does NOT have extra room to move around. IF by chance it does have some room, You will get considerable wallop when the weight is accelerated rearward (remember the Newton Law of "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction") IF you don't mind recoil and would rather have it a "kicker", then just leave it alone.

Regards,
WV_Hillbilly

PS ICYW, I found out the "hard" way!

judging by the fotos you posted the rear mount is in the area where the powder charge is placed, if the 'catch' is that far back then it won't matter.
the front mounting screws however are in the area forward of the load. where is the catch specifically? if in this area you may be in for some work such as casting and charging a lap to remove the burr.

Boy, looks like I can't win on this one. The burr has been caused by the rear screw in the forward mount.

I certainly agree with Zonie's reply. The only other thin I like to do when filling unwanted screw holes is peen it with a small hammer before filing. This will make the screw swell to fit even tigher. Then mask the barrel and file it flush. Should be practically invisible after it's blued and safe to shoot.....IMO.

if me I would fill the threaded hole with a set-screw locktited in and shoot it some. it may erode down to nothing - worth a try. if still there then cast a lap and charge it and try working it back-forth on the 'dimple' to smooth it out.

IF you decide to plug it the buldge is going to be the problem. The area that is buldged downward is going to be extremely thin. The plug takes care of that as far as blowout but, when you try to get rid of the buldge that's where the real problem is in IMHO.
Even if your plug is fitted on it's point exactly right to the bottom of the hole the act of laping the barrel to remove buldge may have one of two results. Either that thin are will be lifted and pushed into existing hole (which is good)! Or the already thinned are gets thinned even more which may result in leaving a metal sliver or burr at that point. Its kind of like dinging a piece of sheet metal and going to other side and sanding that area, you will end up with a hole at the ding. As I see though, that is about your only option to plug it and try to lap the barrel and hope it pushes the metal back into the area of the screw hole instead of thinning too much

You need to be careful about peening threaded fasteners like that as you run a very real risk of damaging the female threads. Damaged threads may have high spots prone to burn out.

you might try plugging the holes that do not 'bottom' to the bore and leaving the 'dimpled' one as is and shoot it some. the dimple may sort of 'press' out, just keep hands clear. if it does clear then run a screw into. and count yerself lucky. it won't 'blow' to smithereens IMO.

I'll probably take it out this Sunday and see what happens after I shoot it a few times. If I can't get the burr situation remedied - do any of you guys need a CVA lock for 35$? :surrender:

Back