• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun safety

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to bring this up with this double barrel hammer...

First time using it for Pheasant I noticed.

I cocked both hammers.. got the bird with one..

Between the dog and bird and all.

I forgot to let the other hammer down and noticed after reloading. Like wow No..

I use one barrel... if I need the other I cock when ready... I don't go in on a bird with both barrels there is no need.

That's just me and it was my first time out..

work it how you like but... it's an age thing maybe I don't know.

No one uses hammers.. no hammers on modern. You have to learn them to.. what trigger is what barrel.

No class for us..

They do a little about it on hunter Ed. But not much..

I'd like a class for all this.. I'd go... no not required class no.. but I'd pay and go. It's worth up to $250 depending on the instructor I think

Cleaning loading safety and all... depending. Id pay again for the advanced class.. but that's me.. you would need to cut it up.. beginner to advance. There's allot to learn

If people here didn't help... we would be alone.

Like if all you answered the questions for the new etc... as go find a reliable source bud... we would be alone... youtube and scattered info

Last edited:
Also , any time you fire one barrel , uncap the unfired one , and run the ramrod down on the remaining loaded barrel to make sure the load is still where you left it , when you last loaded it. This is a safety check many forget. If one barrel is fired repeatedly , the unfired one's load might move forward. The dislodged load could act as a barrel obstruction. I've heard of old damascus twist barrels failing , if this happends. I've hunted with my modern percussion 12 ga. , and 10 ga. Navy Arms sbs guns w/o any problems for a long time. I read this note in an old book like 50+ yrs. ago , and it makes sense to me.

It was hard to decide on a powder charge the first time and I thought about how much for 2weeks... if I asked here you guys probably would have said less...

Instead I followed that guy from NAML you know him.. and his turkey gun load I tried that with wads no cup.. he used to much powder I think.. it's not unsafe but I would have got better info over here.. might have used skychief and the first bird might have been in range. I missed because of him 😆

Like we need a baby load for the first shot. 50grns or something is a first shot why magnum.. a light test... and then bang a 70 80 grn... not 100.

Last edited:
Also , any time you fire one barrel , uncap the unfired one , and run the ramrod down on the remaining loaded barrel to make sure the load is still where you left it , when you last loaded it. This is a safety check many forget. If one barrel is fired repeatedly , the unfired one's load might move forward. The dislodged load could act as a barrel obstruction. I've heard of old damascus twist barrels failing , if this happends. I've hunted with my modern percussion 12 ga. , and 10 ga. Navy Arms sbs guns w/o any problems for a long time. I read this note in an old book like 50+ yrs. ago , and it makes sense to me.
I do that until I have proven to myself the way the way that I load will not be susceptible to that issue.

I just find myself spending too much time learning more because I want to try more because I want to be safe. Shoot don't shoot.

It's because of safety.

Like I said to much time looking up powder shot charges.. just to fire the first shot. Lol and starting out I didn't want any forum info I didn't trust anything because of its a forum so u don't look at forum

I kept myself out of trouble by using accepted ways of loading and shooting. I even cheated , and used modern plastic wads , some times with excellent success. One suggestion is , use the thinest over shot wads , as thicker wads tend to make holes in the shot cloud as a thick wad will do. The thin over shot was will fall away quicker keeping a dense shot cloud. Another suggestion.....I always used one size larger shot pellet in a m/l shotgun , than was recommended for a ctg. shot shell. Think it kills better..............oldwood

Pedersoli

Do they have a reliable source to load there guns and what we can use?

There the big one.. starting out I looked there.. the book they give you a little small

I think it's funny... great guns made good. But yes I kinda want them to have a forum too... I could be there also.

I guess this is there forum... 🤔

I looked for an overseas forum for muzzloader or hunting.. I was like there has to be something. There used there more I thought.

Nothing yet... I don't care if it's another language I'll figure it out.

Last edited:
You can't load anything on a "fly".. I know that means walking and stopping walking and stop..

If it's not loaded your not getting it loaded following the dog... like walk stop walk stop walk stop... no don't bother

Once I start to load that's it, i finish.. if not either your going to forget what you did last... or what barrel your on. Etc...

I try to use both barrels to before loading again.. a one shot thing I do.. then load both. Just nicer that way.

I didn't get to talk to anyone at the clay range at the gun club...

I was loading the whole time. Binga bang... they were all talking and i wanted to join in but i was loading the whole time I held up the line... It's good to go there to practice this loading.. hold up the line on them make them wait they go to fast.

So talking and loading. That just like on the "fly".

Last edited:
WOW 😳 I hunt all the time with double barrel muzzleloader to include 1 CVA that was built from a kit in the 80's and 4) English doubles from 1860's. Have always only cocked 1 hammer at a time. I'm right handed 1st I use left side barrel. Then if need a second shot it's very natural to thumb back right hammer. With excitement of flush, recoil, or even tripping hazard why would you cock both hammers? Also the rear trigger is not always left or right barrel. 3 of my original and CVA are 1 way and other gun is opposite. Friend has 2 Belgium guns one each way. My 2 cents after shooting BP for 50 plus years.

Back