• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun hoarding?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
19 16 6 said:
I sorta see it as if I am in Gods waiting room & all this stuff is magazines & toys to pass the time until my appointment. When my name is called I will drop everything & go because that is the reason why I am here.
O.

Fantastic attitude, mate. I can't wait to see what kind of muzzleloaders and gun ranges are waiting for us on the other side. I'm looking forward to shooting with you at that "big gun range in the sky". :thumbsup:

Sqt

Good for you!

Over the years I have hosted a father/son campout on our farm. Shooting all kinds of guns, archery, fishing, campfire cooking, waffle ball, playing in the creek etc are the order of day.

We have not held one for a few years, these boys all graduated from high school this year and I had several request to do it one more time from the kids and the dads.

So, the last weekend of July that is what we are doing.

The kids love the old guns. They think the flintlocks are cool. They also loved the "buffalo" gun (45-70 sharps).

I am also a hunter safety instructor and each kid with a gun that is new to shooting has an adult standing right next to them. We of coarse go through a short gun handling safety presentation before we start.

Fleener

I only have 12 Black Powder guns, or is it :confused: :thumbsup: 14. :confused:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

If you are a hoarder or collector and want to insure your collection you might want to check out Collectibles Insurance company.

The only relationship I have with them is as a client. I have no idea if I need to collect on the policy if they are any good.

I do know that they insure gun collections, and the rates in my opinion are very reasonable.

It covers you for most anything except if it breaks while you are shooting it.

If they are stolen while traveling, out of hotel room, truck, or you drive over it with your truck it is covered.

Just a FYI if you are interested.

I am in my second year with them.

Fleener

Sometimes an expression is worse than the act... consider it 'collecting'!! But to answer your question, :metoo:

I'm not sure if I'm a hoarder. I'm sure I'm not a collector because I don't follow ay one theme in depth. I've concluded I'm a gun accumulator!

I have more guns than I can keep track of, every trip into one of the safes is a new adventure. Probably half of them I've never fired. That part used to bother me but I see them as my retirement fund, so I've stopped being concerned by that.

After considering the origins of this depravity I've come to realize what I like most about guns is buying them! The first time I walked into a store and bought a gun, back in those turbulent years of the late '60s/early '70s, I was awestruck to exercise that freedom. The government(s) that wouldn't trust me with a firecracker, that had no regard for my existence as evidenced by the draft and the pointless waste of life it was feeding, would allow me to purchase any sort of firearm and just take it and shoot it anywhere and anytime I chose.

That feeling of freedom and joy still accompanies each new acquisition!

My "plan", if I have a fruitful retirement, is to deal with every orphan gun in my safe one at a time. Get one out, address any deficiencies in function or appearance. Take it to the range, develop loads for it, get it sighted in, get to know it, enjoy it... and hope it catches the fancy of some other shooter with deep pockets. That should keep me happy, occupied and funded for a long retirement.

This is a general comment not aimed at anyone in particular....and ignoring the political and religious references, the number of guns one amasses is a personal thing.

I built 2 racks of MLers and one day realized that I hadn't shot many for quite awhile and w/ the "new arrival" {just completed build}, an assessment was needed because another gunrack was now req'd. So in lieu of the needed rack, I thought of selling some of the LRs. Due to the "sweat and tears" of the earlier builds, didn't really know how my feelings would be as I parted w/ the LRs.

To make a long story short, it wasn't that painful at all....retained my 3 hunting MLer rifles and sold all the rest and have sold every build since then.

But, the thought has always struck me during all of the later builds..."is this the one I'll keep??. Well, none have been "keepers" and seeing a new build is always started before selling the present build, the transition is w/o remorse.

Afterall....from a practical standpoint, how often can one shoot a large collection and seeing maintaining a lot of MLers is time consuming, I really have better things to do...which is building more MLers to sell......Fred

"Collecting is more about preservation"....can understand if the collectables are antiques, but don't understand if the MLers are modern.....Fred

I think many people have many firearms but I also believe that just as many have them for different purposes and reasons, be it hunting, sports shooting, collecting, investment value. For whatever reason, I say good for them.

flehto said:
....can understand if the collectables are antiques, but don't understand if the MLers are modern.....Fred

Wait a 100 years..... :grin:
"It is a wise man who plants a tree knowing that he will never sit and enjoy it's shade....."

You don't always have to wait 100 years.
Among the stolen guns I didn't get back was a Shilo Sharps made in Farmingdale. If I still had it, it would be worth several times the $425 I paid for it. Even Pedersoli guns are selling for many times more than they did several years ago.
Where you can really get lucky is buying a rifle from someone who shows a lot of promise but isn't "known" yet. My favorite rifle is an early piece from a maker whose work keeps going up. I think I got a bargain.
I can remember Jack Haugh rifles selling on comercial row at Friendship for under $500 and I ain't nowhere close to 100.

Latest posts

Back