• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun flints in stock Stonewall Creek

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Historian

20 ga. Flintlock SXS
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Stonewall Creek has French Gun flints in stock as of today. I had asked to be notified so I could place an order. Bought 100 of the French but he may also have some English. Just thought I would alert anyone needing flints. I ordered the 5/8 inch from him for my Pedersoli SXS 20 ga.

Stonewall Creek has French Gun flints in stock as of today. I had asked to be notified so I could place an order. Bought 100 of the French but he may also have some English. Just thought I would alert anyone needing flints. I ordered the 5/8 inch from him for my Pedersoli SXS 20 ga.
Does that lock take 5/8" square or 5/8" x 3/4"?

wm

If a flint is used until won't spark , in a good lock perhaps 15 to 30 shots. Also , I've not seen remarkable difference in performance between black English and French flint, ..............oldwood

Well, the Pedersoli lock takes a 5/8" X 3/4" but I have used a slightly smaller 5/8" X 5/8" which sometimes works better. It depends on how they are knapped.
When these get here I will have about 150 flints total which sounds like a lot however I do shoot quite often and as a avid bird hunter you can go through flints especially with a SXS which takes 2.
Ever been in a hot popcorn or sunflower southern dove field? It's smoken barrels if you take my meaning.:cool:
Good shooting to all!

If a flint is used until won't spark , in a good lock perhaps 15 to 30 shots. Also , I've not seen remarkable difference in performance between black English and French flint, ..............oldwood
My flints last a lot longer than that... by far..A lot of flint life depends on lock geometry, condition of the frizzen and the structural integrity of the flint itself. I bet I’m getting 100 shots out of a flint, I’ve shot at two club shoots ( before the world changed) both shoots were 40 or so shots each and my flint is still in great shape.

Yes, a lot depends on the lock itself. I tune all my locks and reduce the spring poundage by about 5 pounds on these Pedersoli locks. I simply slim them down by filing and sanding as I like them less than 5 pounds. Otherwise they will eat flints. I will also deepen the pans some so they can hold a little more powder.

It’s never a bad idea to nap a flint if it isn’t sparking well:

FB245E64-2057-487D-A82A-EEBBEADD61DB.jpeg

Just "re-knap" them, for another 30 shots, keep knapping them when they get dull, till they get "too short" to work!

How long will 100 flints last? I'd think that would be a lifetime supply, but then again I dont know how many shots can be taken before a flint is no longer useable.
I have had some flints lose their edge after two hammer falls. Others have lasted until the jaws could not hold the short piece of flint. These were black English flints. I have bought flints while at rondyvous, so I don't know their source of supplies.

How long will 100 flints last? I'd think that would be a lifetime supply, but then again I dont know how many shots can be taken before a flint is no longer useable.
The life of a flint depends on the quality of the flint, and the lock.I have one rifle (pedroseli) that will get over thirty shots /flint with good sparks, another (old style T.C.) that is lucky to get more than ten shots. Since I am knapping impaired I usually shoot my percusions.I can reface the nipples and get several hundred shots/nipple.

I have had some flints lose their edge after two hammer falls. Others have lasted until the jaws could not hold the short piece of flint. These were black English flints. I have bought flints while at rondyvous, so I don't know their source of supplies.
Could the native flint have been heat treated? I want to Knapp gun flints myself. So to heat, or not. That is my question.

Back