• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun case

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnN

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I will soon be receiving a custom made gun and would like something to carry it in. Not looking for a solid case but a flexible one that provides more protection than the usual canvas, blanket, or oilcloth type.Was thinking of lining a canvas one with some wool. Any ideas ?

I use a wool case that I then insert gun & all into a canvas case. By not sewing the two cases together, it is easier to dry them if they get damp.

What do you want? Wool wraps are most hc. Deer skin was also seen. Fancy wooden boxes and leather cases are not unheard of. You have lots of options, I like thick wool. Most were shorter then a full case. Wool lined canvas would be handy and good.

Coot said:
I use a wool case that I then insert gun & all into a canvas case. By not sewing the two cases together, it is easier to dry them if they get damp.
I too use combo wool/canvas cases, but turn the canvas case "outside in", then each has a 6" tie (on the closed end) and I tie them together via a simple bow. Then I use the ramrod or arm to push the wool case into the canvas case, turning it back the right way as I work it up the rifle.

Simple, keeps them together, but allows them to separate easily too ... just for the EXACT purpose you had mentioned ... for easier drying out.

I bought two cheap long rectangular plastic gun cases. I cut the end off one case then I cut the extension off the other case. I used pop rivets with back up washers to join the two halves. You have to add some overlap. This came out a round 60
bucks for me. The first one I made works so well I am getting ready to order a couple more cheap cases.

JohnN said:
I will soon be receiving a custom made gun and would like something to carry it in. Not looking for a solid case but a flexible one that provides more protection than the usual canvas, blanket, or oilcloth type.Was thinking of lining a canvas one with some wool. Any ideas ?

How you handle your rifle is more important than the carrying case. A wool blanket case looks great walking around ronny but, IMHO, are otherwise worthless. They seem to attract moisture and the wool holds it. Like finding your rifle covered in rust in the morning? :shocked2: Then store in a wool case in your canvas lodge. :(
For several years I have been using a synthetic fabric (grey color looks like thick wool) carrying case that breathes and allows moisture to escape. If I can find the brand name I'll let you know. They are also inexpensive, about $15.00.

After bending my front sight while removing my target rifle from the car I make a simple plywood case for transporting my rifle. It is ugly but it protects the rifle and smoothbore. :idunno:

there is a nice looking grey synthetic out there ... can't remember the name, but the lady at the drygoods place where you buy your patching material will be able to help you.

a pattern for a gun case might be available online, or just make one up as you go ... it needn't look like it was made by a professional seamstress - after all, inept sewing is a 'guy thing.'

p.s. DO NOT get caught using your wife's sewing machine, and ABSOLUTELY do not break the thing.

don't ask me how I know ...

"cheap...plastic gun cases....pop-rivets" ? OMG! grzrob please consider deleting this post, before we get six pages of rants and tirades on how some people just have no respect for the tradition!!! :haha:

BTW, do you use copper or brass rivets? :grin:

Grumpa said:
"cheap...plastic gun cases....pop-rivets" ? OMG! grzrob please consider deleting this post, before we get six pages of rants and tirades on how some people just have no respect for the tradition!!! :haha:

YA!!!! Heck He didn't even use duct tape, baling wire or JB weld....
Traditional???? :shocked2:

:rotf: :rotf:

Gun cases are the one thing I don't have very strong opinions on... It's hard enough just finding one long enough....
If he managed to cobble two together...Fantastic...I hope he posts a picture..
:hatsoff:

Not "trad", but this one also has an extra sleeve for your range rod, which is very nice!
http://uniquecases.com/product-category/musket-cases/

(And also not trad, although some trappers seemed to have carried a spare rod "wiping stick" in their barrel - see Miller's sketches and the 1837 sketchbook evaluation of them by Norman. A great book for those wanting to be really "traditional" in that era!)

A closeable, securable one is required at my gun club range - a lock thru the double zippers works well for this. It also meets Iowa gun transport law (as near as I can figure, at least).

I have the ubiquitous wool blanket one for 'Vous and other HC events, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
“I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts.”

”• Mark Twain, What Is Man?

:haha:

Back