• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GRRW question..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeinnm

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and I have a question. A few years ago, me and my father went into a local gun shop and bought two bp rifles. One is a GRRW made in roosevelt, utah, and the other is a Antonio Zoli Zouave. Both rifles had belonged to the same man and both are in near new condition. I took the GRRW and now I am thinking about taking it deer hunting this year. The question I have is, should I use the GRRW to hunt? I have been told that Green River Rifles are not common and it would be a shame to scratch the wood. Somebody told me that they are fairly valuable. How much is this rifle worth? Its a .54 caliber.

Thanks, Mike.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! :thumbsup:
Hopefully, someone with greater knowledge than me will show up to answer your question.
In the meantime, I'll give a few thoughts about black powder muzzleloaders.

Very few guns which are (were) commercially made by a company are considered very valuable simply because there are no collectors of them.
By collectors, I mean the type of people who collect old historic firearms like Colts, Remingtons, Winchesters etc.
Most people who buy them intend to use them for something.
That something may be hunting, target shooting, re-enacting, hanging in a display case...

In the case of your GRRW gun for instance, I doubt that there is one person in the United States who has a Green River Rifle Works collection and would be willing to pay a large sum of money for your gun.
That is not to say there are no people who would want your rifle. I'm sure that many would but they would want it for its use, not for some collector value.

That said, a high quality factory muzzleloader can sell for anywhere from $400-$700. A custom made rifle in new condition can sell for $700-$3000 depending on the builder and the style of the rifle. I might add that with the devaluation of the dollar, some of the new Italian muzzleloaders are selling for $600-$900 but the majority of them are in the $350-$500 range.

Based on this, I think that if you want to use it for hunting then by all means do so.
Treat it like a high quality rifle but enjoy using it. After all, that is what it was made for.

zonie :)

If its a Hawken in good shape the gun might be worth north of $1,500. These do not show up often as people just hold on to them. However, GRRW Trade Guns don't sell for much more than $600-700 and are seen frequently. In either case its not much money and therefore you should shoot the gun and enjoy it. You won't were it out.

Richard

Regardless of which model it is, it will make a fine hunting rifle. It may well be worth a thousand dollars or more, but it is still a rifle and ought to be used. I've got a custom Hawken made 35 years or more ago that I was told shouldn't be shot because it was too valuable but I shoot it anyway. Three people appraised it at $2500 to $3000 and maybe that is what it is/was worth. Today it has a few dings and scratches on it, but they just make it my rifle and each has a memory to go with it. No way to put a price on that. I doubt that Kit Carson or Jim Bridger gave a rat's backside about the odd nick on their rifles. Shoot your rifle and enjoy every moment of it.

Hello and thanks- I don't know which one I have-The stock is curly maple and the furniture is brass except the nose cap-it's silver. Half stock. also the stock is slightly cast. real nice fit and finish. Thanks again-mike

The barrel is 33 inches to the breech plug. I am not sure what a barrel key is but it has only one wedge. It has two thimbles.

Well, thanks.

Sounds like you may have one of their halfstock Lemans. Are there any initials back at the breech on the oblique flat?

Hello again- yes there are initials- GP , the G is on top and to the side of the P- mike

Thanks guy's-I will take this rifle hunting, my hunt is the week of oct.8th. I hope I get a deer.I will post back if I do- Thanks again, mike

Latest posts

Back