• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GRRW

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Several years ago when I was making some pretty good $$$$ I had a chance to buy a left-handed caplock GRRW Hawken rifle which was advertised as a 50 caliber. I purchased the rifle from TOTW. I put it in the back of the safe and as it turned out….its a 54 caliber which I was and am mighty pleased with! Fellows I’ve looked at lots of various rifles over the years…..many Hawken rifles including various custom makes but I have NEVER seen one as professional made as this particular Hawken by GRRW! The total inletting job is absolutely flawless as well as meticulous detail paid to all metal work! Stamped upon the barrel about 2” forward of the nipple is 444 DM .54 The rifle has double set triggers which work flawlessly right down to the ground! When I get time I’m going to take a few photos and I’ll follow up with this post! Oh….this is not a buildup for a sale because it’s NOT for sale! Just some admiration for the hombre that built this rifle up!

IMG_3557 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Last edited:
Checking the Green River Rifleworks Collector website, lots of good info, it would appear a fellow named Don McKee put your gun together. They show 3 different maker's marks for him, DM is identified as number 1, I assume that's the first mark he used.

GRRW Made some beautiful stuff, my 5 are all Leman style guns. One is their small Leman in .45. I missed an opportunity at a .58 fullstock Hawken flint I've kicked myself over for years. I once had to sell a .50 Leman I wish I still had.

You have a great piece of muzzleloading history there, very desirable. Good deal.

Back