• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grouse & dove hunt.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Spent two days in the mountains hunting dusky grouse and never took a picture! Today my mourning dove hunt was nice and I remembered at the last moment to get a snap shot before cleaning them. Being a particularly poor shotgun shooter I was happy to get a few and clean them up to give to my neighbor, he likes them.
IMG_1019 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Wow ! Great shooting Sir ! They must not be related to our Ruffed Grouse in PA. Here you definitely need a good shotgun and better reflexes.
I still have the shotgun but I think I left the reflexes somewhere in the 1980's

Thanks
O.R

Nice looking shotgun on the opening post, care to tell a little about it.
A Navy Arms made by Petersoli that I’ve had for a long time. I added a tiny pin to the under rib to catch the ram rod and I use plastic wads to speed loading in the field. The barrels are cylinder and improved modified. Works on doves to ducks with rabbits, squirrel, clay pigeons and whatever.

Wow ! Great shooting Sir ! They must not be related to our Ruffed Grouse in PA. Here you definitely need a good shotgun and better reflexes.
I still have the shotgun but I think I left the reflexes somewhere in the 1980's

Thanks
O.R
These are generally shot on a roost/branch, not on the wing as we would roughed grouse. Some people call these and spruce grouse fool's hens because they will sit on a branch or on the ground in plain sight and let a person approach within trad-bow or pistol range and tape their shot. Not saying they are never shot on the wing, but it doesn't seem to be the norm from what I've read.

We have dusky grouse that are often called fools hens, I generally hunt them with a pistol.
51345062200_4facc6f9cf_k.jpg
2015-09-18 001 2015-09-18 005 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Are they the same as blue grouse or the same as spruce grouse? Both can be pretty stupid .... as can ruffed grouse in the mountains.

Are they the same as blue grouse or the same as spruce grouse? Both can be pretty stupid .... as can ruffed grouse in the mountains.
They used to be blue grouse or Franklin grouse but the DOW now lists them as dusty grouse, and they do eat spruce needles. I shoot them on the ground so the slug hits the earth rather then going to who knows where. I used to get them and ruff grouse in Montana in the same manner while elk hunting.

What we call Blue Grouse are also known as Sooty Grouse. They and Ruffed Grouse are white meated while the Spruce Grouse, or fool hens, and the Sharptail are dark meated. The Blue Grouse are the largest. At least that's how it is in Alaska and the Yukon. It depends on the location. I've heard Ruffed Grouse called Native pheasants and I think they're called Partridge back East.

:dunno:

Latest posts

Back