• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

group size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David454

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have 3 muzzleloaders.
my favorite: t/c ThunderHawk inline 1-32 twist

t/c encore 1-28 twist (I think)

cva hawkens 1-48 twist

With the ThunderHawk almost anything I have ever put in it will group 2 inchs or better at a hundred yards. It is my favorite because its just dosent seem to care what I feed it.
The encore is picky but I can get the 2 inch groups out of it 2 and one half is probably better average.
The cva Hawkens I cant get good groups with anything. went to range today and best group 10 inches at 50 yards. I Wipe between shots have tried t/c maxi's, sabots with 240 gr 44 mag bullets, lee R.E.A.L and lee minies. The last 2 I cast my self. And i have tryed all kinds of powder charges from 60 to 100. I want to deer hunt with the Hawkens but wont take it until I can predict were it will hit. I guess iam looking for new things to try. How important is barrel bedding for instance. :yakyak: Any ideas?

Per the Dixie Catalog, the Thunderhawk is a 1:38 twist with .005 deep grooves. The Encore is a 1:28 with .005 deep grooves. The CVA Hawken is a 1:48 with .007 deep grooves.

While the CVA rifles 1:48 twist is supposed to be good for both round balls and conical bullets the increased groove depth may be causing your problems.

Try Rebels suggestion and you may find the gun will shoot very well for you.
IMO, the .490 diameter roundball (about 179 grains) will do a very good job on a deer out to 80 yards or so.

Barrel bedding is just as important with a muzzleloader as it is with a high-powered rifle. My Thompson Center 54 Hawken had very poor barrel bedding which I repaired by using a Brownell's bedding kit. I had access to an end Mill so I also put a machine screw through the tang and threaded into the hooked breach. I added shims to the front end of the stock so it provides some upthrust on the barrel. Problem solved! The gun will now shoot better than I can.

Try some round balls in that rifle. How about 80g of Goex FFF with a .490 ball and some prelubed or homemade patches. I find both my CVA sidelocks shoot great with roundballs.

Latest posts

Back