• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ground Cloth for Museum Wedge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My (albeit limited) understanding is that fire proofing is a time and use expiring product/treatment. Walking on it surely does not help with longevity. I would not add anything to the tarp that would increase the chances of it catching fire in an attempt at waterproofing. The accepted best-practice from what I have read and seen at rendezvous seems to be a waterproof tarp down first.

Last edited:
A few pictures to tie you all over.
20230819_210717.jpg
20230812_161021.jpg

20230819_200152.jpg

Local hardware store. Canvas painter tarp. Lined on bottom with vinyl so 100% waterproof.

View attachment 247997
Does the vinyl in the floor "crunch" when you walk on it?
If not, what exactly did you buy?
I haven't used vinyl or plastic under the canvas because of slipping and "crunch".
But, it would help when the weather is wet.

Seeing as vinyl backing and plastic tarps aren't period anyway, I'll throw this idea out there, and no, I haven't tried it.....
What about spraying one side (it would be the side that would go against the ground) of a drop-cloth/painter's tarp with spray on Plasti-Dip? If you're not familiar with it, it is a spray on rubber coating, mostly for tools but also gets used on vehicle parts and I've used it on treestand parts to cut glare and noise.

If I still have a partial can and find a small scrap of canvas, maybe I'll test it.

Might work. If it keeps you dry and warm it’s worth it.
I'm thinking more for folks looking for flooring/ground clothes for their tents. I don't have a period tent, and don't really get to camp out much anymore anyway. I'm sure the plasti-dip with keep water from soaking through the cloth,,, IF it adheres to it well enough. My concerns would be how well it adheres to cloth and durability. One of the two sided coins to using it for things like truck/jeep trim, wheels, etc is how it peels off. If you apply it and leave it be, it's fine, but if you don't like how it looks or if you botch the job, once you get it started, the whole job just peels right off and you start over. I would be concerned that roots and rocks may remove the product from the cloth of rubbed against them too much.

I gots to know what y'all thought of that barley extraction in the Cisco Brewers pounder. Looks crisp and cold. A pale ale?
Odd but I just realized I miss the smell and feel of the close air and scent of grass in a tent. Been years.

That beverage is the New Belgium Hazy Voodoo Ranger. Solid beverage, albeit a little heavy at times. The spouse is drinking a dragonfruit imperial seltzer from a local company I can't remember.

I might just camp out this weekend. Weather's supposed to be down in the 50's, and with the opening of dove season, it might just be time to enjoy it for real.

After a bunch of looking and research, I decided a 12oz 15'x12' canvas drop cloth was the one for me.

I've read about "seasoning" a tent. Does the same hold true for the ground cloth?

Back