• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings from NE Utah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earl Rausch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all
My name is Earl and am located in Vernal UT,Was born and raised in Indiana, then moved to AZ was there for 20 years then NM for 10 now in Utah to stay, I already have my plot picked out.
I love shooting hunting, Fishing,and restoring cars and tractors,
I cant stand the new breed of ML or I guess the inline guns, I am of the opinion use ether a center-fire rifle or use a Traditional ML but that's just me.
I have been making my own fireworks for about ten years and have been making my own BP.
About 1974 I made a flint lock pistol and had a lot of fun shooting it, but not much fun making it, but now I have the correct tools to make whatever I want, I also have a navy revolver (BP).
I am going to make a percussion rifle not sure of the style yet but I have been reading a lot of what everybody has been posting so I am sure I will come up with the model shortly and I will be using my BP, I have been seeing that a LOT of you all use a flint lock I guess I am shy of making one as I can remember shooting my FL pistol, Pull the trigger, go to the store and when you get back it will go off,:)
I was in College at the time so 2f was all I had, I know that the FL can work quite well when you use the correct powder in the pan,
I want to learn what are the best components to use for making my rifle. So post away. I will be posting on the main board once I have read what has been already said.
Thanks for reading
Earl

Welcome to the Forum Earl! I agree completely with your position on *#lines. :thumbsup:

One quick Question. I have seen "swamped barrel" what is that ?
Let the learning process begin :wink:

I knew if I would keep reading the boards I would find the answer, I kinda wish that I didn't though it seems to be a lot more work but hey our ancestors did it,
ER

Welcome from South Texas :hatsoff: .
Be sure to check the gun builders bench. Plenty of info and help there.

Basically, a swamped barrel has a bit of a flair at both ends. As opposed to a straight or tapered barrel. Swamped barrel is thinner thru the mid section

First off I wish to thank you all for the warm welcome.
I have been reading a lot of information in the construction section of the forum and sweet mother there is so much super information there.
I was reading a post about touch hole alignment and whatit mentioned was "fouling" I am so encouraged by that word "Fouling".
To me it most likely indicates that you all "or Most all no toe stepping here" use Black Powder !.
Most all of what I read on the BP "Sporting"sites is if you use BP then you have to go home and clean your gun %^*(^... THAT'S the point in imho you now get to fondle her a bit more and clean her up.
Nothing is better than tying your own fly's and go fishing with them, Because even when tying fly's you are still immersed in the sport, you are thinking of the river and the fish.
the same is true with cleaning your gun, Even as a kid I loved cleaning my gun,even now when I smell oil and hoppies (sp) I am transported back to when I was nine or ten and I am at my grandmas house, Smell of coffee and apple pie,and guns,nothing is better,

Welcome to the forum and much luck on building your new muzzle loader. With the "stickies" and posts on The Gun Builders forum you should find much of the info needed to get started.

Welcome Earl! I have recently gotten into pyrotechnics myself, making BP for use in one pound rockets and aerial shells from a two inch mortar.

Welcome to the MLF Earl from your neighbor in Wyoming!There are lots of friendly knowlegable folks here on the site so pull up a stump and contribute when you can.

Great another Pyro !, Have you tried to make whistle rockets ? Do you use your BP for ML ? When I was in WI I gave a ML'er that came by the shop to delever goods two pounds and he said it worked great so before I left I made him five pounds of two F If you will email me I can point you where you can find some great information,
I would post it here but I don't want to bend the rules of the forum. Wouldn't be good my first week on the job :)

Where in WY do you live ? Wyoming is a great state kinda cold and WINDY but then here in Vernal it gets quite cold to.
Do you hunt with your ML? I would like here what most guys hunt with Cal, Type of bullet,charge,
I think for me to get to Rock Springs it is about an hour and half or proly closer to two. it is a twisty road if I go up past the gorge.I was up there a few weeks back to get a Tractor.
ER

Welcome to the forum. I live over in the Bear River valley of Wyoming. We have a Rondy here the 27th and 28th of this month. The big one at Ft Bridger Wyoming will be Labor Day week-end. There are some real sharp Black Powder folks in Vernal. Some are on this forum. What part of Indiana are you from? I know some hunters from back there. :hmm

Looks like I will come up for the event ! I was born and raised in Muncie Ind, There are lot's of deer there now. I spent a lot of time up around South Bend grandma had a farm where I could shoot and drive the old cub to my heart;s content,

Don't know where that is. Most of my contacts live down on the Ky border. Washington Co. Etc. If you make it to the Bear River Rondy in Evanston let me know. :thumbsup:

Back