• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I have a W. W. Greener double-barrel percussion shotgun in 10 gauge, and it has a mark I'm not familiar with. Can anyone tell me the significance of the elephant?

Spence

mark.jpg

Just because its stamped Greener does not mean its really a Greener.

Dan

Dan Phariss said:
Just because its stamped Greener does not mean its really a Greener.
Yes, I know, but I'm reasonably certain this is one. I'm trying to find out for sure. I've contacted Graham Greener of the company and am in the process of preparing photos they want in order to identify my gun. I don't expect a fast result, but I'm encouraged.

Spence

George said:
I've contacted Graham Greener of the company and am in the process of preparing photos they want in order to identify my gun. I don't expect a fast result, but I'm encouraged.
They surprised me by responding quickly and thoroughly. I'm very pleased with what they had to say. From Graham Greener:

"The 'elephant' is our registered trade mark. We don't know exactly when it was first used but certainly it is very early on in W W Greener's gunmaking career and we have guns in our collection from 1864 with the elephant stamped on them."

And, more importantly:

"There is no doubt that your percussion muzzle loader is a genuine W W Greener example in good condition for its age. The serial number of 10xxx indicate a manufacturing date between 1871 and 1873 but probably towards the earlier year."

Spence

Hi Spence!

That is very exciting. W.W. Greener was an especially innovative and historic gunsmith. It appears that the original business is still in the family. How many London Gunmakers can say that?

Wow, nice verification, Even the printed e-mail could be considered "documentation", you have a true collector piece now huh?

necchi said:
Wow, nice verification, Even the printed e-mail could be considered "documentation", you have a true collector piece now huh?
I guess so. This gun is special in another, more important way, though. When I first got into BP shooting back in the early 1970s I ran across a marvelous old shotgun nut named Paul Blakeman. Paul took me under his wing and over the next 10-12 years taught me a lot about old BP shotguns. We became very close friends. I'll never forget those marvelous afternoons, sitting in Paul's kitchen, drinking coffee and talking about BP shooting, shotguns and their history. Paul was very special. He was quit elderly, lived alone, and ran a little BP shop out of his house, to "make ends meet", as he said. I bought stuff from him from time to time. He died after a short illness in 1986, and he sold me this shotgun and some of his other gear a while before that, because he was getting old and didn't want certain of his stuff to wind up in an auction, he said. I don't know if Paul was aware he had a short time to live, but this Greener was the last thing I ever bought from him. It was special to him, and I didn't understand why he decided to sell it to me. Now it's special to me.

Now THAT'S a story! I also thank you for sharing. Any chance you could post a pic of the intire gun? Would love to see a real Greener. I saw a pic of a large gauge double, like 4 bore, or maybe even 2 bore, in a muzzleloader mag once, and it looked like it weighed at least 20 pounds. Definitely elephant worthy. Bill

Wow! Super crisp checkering. Perfect line up on the hammers. Beautiful browning. You can even see a little solder on the rib. Sleek, not the hulking behemoth I was expecting.

Wasn't it a breech loading 10 ga. Greener that was portrayed in that recent western (Appaloosa I think)? I seem to remember they used a 12ga. and doctored it up for the film.

oldarmy said:
that's a beautiful shotgun.
do you still shoot it?
Not on a regular basis, and not for several years. I have taken a few doves and pheasants with it, though, couldn't resist seeing what a Greener was all about.

Spence

A beautiful, graceful and classic English gun - and something to treasure.

Timeless elegance in wood and steel.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Beautiful gun, Spence!
I suppose, due to it's authenticity, this one is a "looker", not a shooter?
BTW; the western I saw featuring Greeners was John Wayne in "Big Jake".
"Martha...did you remember to bring my Greeners?"

Back