• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grease hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine has a lengthend grease hole .... more like a grease slot where you can wipe the patch across the grease in the slot. My rifle is a close copy of the historic William Bean rifle. Hershel House made a super copy of this poorboy rifle, grease slot, antler piece at the top of the heel, all iron hardware. Mine is a .40 caliber.
Ohio Rusty ><>View attachment 299960
Awesome! Thank you!

I have a copy of a rifle from just across the Mason /Dixon line in north W.Va.. , Preston Co. It has a walnut stock , and is flint lock. When I'm hunting , or just shooting mark at the camp , I stack greased patches in the hole. The greased patches stay in the hole and that keeps them out of my shot pouch. I got the idea from looking at an original Bedford Co. rifle , that had patches stuck in it's patch box , which had caked dried animal fat in it. Haven't lost a patch out of the grease hole yet.

I was thinking about putting one in an old Jukar “Kentucky “ style rifle. It just looks like it needs it. My patch lube is normally spit but sometimes I also use a beeswax and olive oil mix. It’s not runny. It’s more like shoe wax. I don’t think it would harm the wood.

It’s not real soft to begin with. I keep some in a tin in my bag and it never gets too runny. But, if I decide to try it (and I may not) I’ll experiment with the old Jukar. Shore can’t hurt that gun. If anything, it might help it!🤣

I live in Pa. w/ moderate temps , and some hot spells in summer , and have never seen any running mess from my patch grease , though one of my first attempts making bear fat lube. Only time you can use it is in hot summer. put too much bee's wax in my precious rendered fat.. Made it too stiff to use fall , winter or spring. Rooky mistake. Think I'll make a small batch mixed w/ that lube-in-a-tube , think it's called Bore Butter , or the like. It should work to thin what I have.

Mine has a lengthend grease hole .... more like a grease slot where you can wipe the patch across the grease in the slot. My rifle is a close copy of the historic William Bean rifle. Hershel House made a super copy of this poorboy rifle, grease slot, antler piece at the top of the heel, all iron hardware. Mine is a .40 caliber.
Ohio Rusty ><>View attachment 299960
A real beauty !

Latest posts

Back