• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grave Robber Gun - ID Help Needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
flinttrap.jpg
[/img] Hello
Trying to do some research on this and stumped what to look under. Originally imported from England.
Bore is 1" and flares to 1 1/2". Gun is approx 18" long. Lock is pretty worn and not much information there.
Any thoughts on what they were called?

Very neat. In England they were commonly called a "spring gun." They were also sometimes mounted on a swivel and were generally set off by a trip wire set in a pathways. When sprung the gun would send shot or an iron bolt into the intruder. Spring guns were outlawed there in 1829. Maybe some of our members in Britain can add to this.

Somewhere I read an article about things like that which were actually mounted to caskets.
Evidently at one time, ca-1800's, there was a serious problem with grave robbers digging up graves for valuables.
These guns were attached to the casket to go off if it was disturbed.
I just can't remember where I ran across the article.

It would be more likely that they were set up in cemeteries at night to keep away grave robbers. You only needed to protect the body long enough for it to decompose.

Most likely the grave robbers were going for cadavers, not valuables. Stealing valuables was actually a serious crime. Stealing bodies was not as much of a crime.

Not the way the article went.
Seems like it was a short in American Rifleman years ago.
Thieves were going after jewels etc buried with bodies, these things went off if the casket was opened as I recall or maybe just set in a spot near it.
If someone can find a complete index to AR the article might be found.

There were some pretty elaborate setups then but another angle is the living was not exactly sure or convinced if a person were really dead or not. Often during those days when a person was put into the ground a device was attached above so that if a person woke up buried alive they could summon help from above to dig them out. This didn't last too long because of science and it's advancements none the less it went on and was the rage of the age for awhile. Many of these designs included bells that the recently departed could ring from below, flare guns or mini cannons that they could fire off to alert the living of their plight. Other's included a reverse type periscope that one could check and see that the deceased was really in fact deceased. I'm not exactly sure about the one pictured above but it could easily fit into that category.

Celt5494 said:
There were some pretty elaborate setups then but another angle is the living was not exactly sure or convinced if a person were really dead or not. Often during those days when a person was put into the ground a device was attached above so that if a person woke up buried alive they could summon help from above to dig them out. This didn't last too long because of science and it's advancements none the less it went on and was the rage of the age for awhile. Many of these designs included bells that the recently departed could ring from below, flare guns or mini cannons that they could fire off to alert the living of their plight. Other's included a reverse type periscope that one could check and see that the deceased was really in fact deceased. I'm not exactly sure about the one pictured above but it could easily fit into that category.

....also known as a "dead ringer"....
that is the origin of the term, although I'm not sure how that transposes to something looking identical to something else? :idunno:

Sorry, Captain. There are numerous references to this out there.

Let's first dispense with the nonsensical idea that's sometimes put forward as the origin of this phrase, i.e. that it refers to people who were prematurely buried and who pulled on bell ropes that were attached to their coffins in order to attract attention.

The noun ringer comes from the verb ring (in), in the early 1800s meaning 'to falsify, disguise, or alter' or 'to introduce fraudulently; substitute one person/thing for another'.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_origin_of_the_phrase_dead_ringer
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/dead%20ringer.html
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20010515

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you sorry? :idunno:

You corrected a myth that I believed true. Now we both know better! :wink:

Just don't tell me there's no Santa....... :shake:

Latest posts

Back