• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR kit build modifications

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy everyone, been a while since I posted so here's a question for all those who have built or wanted to build a GPR kit. Assuming we all agree the kit resembles a Hawken in style, what suggestions would you make to bring the finished rifle closer to a Hawken as possible using only the parts supplied?

The easiest would be to reshape the cheekpiece and comb on the stock.

finish_cheek.jpg

finish_full_left.jpg

The cheekpiece on the GPR is way too massive. A little wood work cleans it up nicely.
Scott

Dang, you are talented ! :grin: I can just imagine ya hanging from that tree by yer legs & snapping tha photo whilst hanging upside down ! :rotf:

Some of you guys just come up with the dangest ideers ! :hmm:

The GPR looks great !

Hanging from the tree was a piece of cake. Climbing up the tree was the tough part... :wink:
Scott

The curve where the upper tang melds into the wrist is all wrong, and needs to be flattened out some. There's also some flabby perch belly in the line from the toe to the trigger guard. These are the most egregious offenses to my eye.

1) The cheek piece on the GPR is way too massive

2) The curve where the upper tang melds into the wrist is all wrong, and needs to be flattened out

3) ”¦perch belly in the line from the toe to the trigger guard

Good - keep em' coming :applause:

Liver eatin Johnson said:
1) The cheek piece on the GPR is way too massive

2) The curve where the upper tang melds into the wrist is all wrong, and needs to be flattened out

3) ”¦perch belly in the line from the toe to the trigger guard

Good - keep em' coming :applause:

I built mine before I had done much research into rifle architecture. I plan on redueing mine this summer. I plan on doing all the above, plus mine came with too much wood on the forearm under the ramrod. It also give the stock a fish bellied look. I'll take that down as well, so look at that on your kit.

Also, round the forearm so the top edge of the barrel channel is very narrow. Not sure how wide but it gives the appearance of almost a knife edge. (does that make sense? :hmm: ) Look closely at pictures of other rifles along the top of the channel to see what I mean. I also shortened the nose cap (it was WAY to big for me). I stripped the case hardening finish (colors) off the lock so it's a gun metal grey color now (personal preference). I also plan on getting rid of the adjustable rear sight in favor of a more traditional one.

there's some ideas for ya.

You're right - nose cap is about 1/4" too long. One thing that has always looked obvious to me is the curve of the butt plate which sweeps too far back at the toe. I softened the curve a bit which resulted in shortening the length of the butt plate by about 5/16".
(toe plate also shortened appropriatly to match the new curve of the butt plate)

More suggestions???

GPRmods.jpg

This pic does not show it very well but I used an oval cap/patch box on mine, the cheekpiece work is a good idea you can probably find some various picks of 1840ish halfstocks and get some ideas as well these are not really vetry "Hawkin like" but pass well as plains rifles of the late RMFT on thru the remainder of the percussion era.

gpr-1.jpg

Liver eatin Johnson,

Remove the slight bellied look of the forestock to create a cleaner straighter line from entry pipe area back...to the trigger. Does that make sense? Did I explain it OK?

James Taylor

Although there are original Hawkens with a very slight belly here--perhaps to resist wear when carried across a saddle pommel or maybe to give a nicer hold. If subtle and well executed it adds to the look of a rifle and like many true Hawken features, it is barely noticeable yet sorely missed when not there.

Guys,

Back when Lyman put this kit out in..what, about 1980, I bought one. Because I wanted a more "Hawkenish" rifle. After it was done it stood beside my first ever Kit rifle my CVA Mountain and my untrained eye saw there was some thing amiss. :hmm: I liked the overall cleaner lines of the CVA. Now older I know what was bugging me and with this we've discussed,I am gonna do a new one soon and give the stock a proper facelift. :thumbsup: Probably will take it no further than this, my woodworking and metal working skills are rather limited to easy kits.

Thanks, :bow:

James Taylor

OHHH YEAHHH

That's what im'a talkin about. Very good. 200 percent improvement... SWEET!

James Taylor

Back