• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Perryman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
All:
Is the Lyman GPR flintlock very reliable?
Target wise , is it accurate and competitive?
Kit, does the barrel come with the ventliner installed?
Frizzens, are the new frizzens from Lyman already hardened and ready to install?
Thanks for any info.
Gene Perryman

Lyman's guns are of good quality and reliable. In the kit the barrel and lock are ready to go. I've never had a GPR but my Lyman Trade Rifle with 48" twist is a mediocre shooter with ball, about 2 1/2" at 50 yards.
I really can't see the GPR or T/C Hawken or any of it's copies, such as the Lyman Trade Rifle as a flinter. The general style is of the late percussion era, just seems all wrong to me. :shake:

"Lyman Trade Rifle with 48" twist is a mediocre shooter with ball, about 2 1/2" at 50 yards."

Excellent accuracy for that price range.

I just got my .54 GPR flinter a couple months ago and I love it!
The very few missfires I've had were probly my fault.
Took my first blackpowder deer with it 3 weeks after I got it.
Reliable so far! :thumbsup:
I did drill the flash hole out to 1/16th" for better ignition. She shoots as fast as a caplock.
I'm using 80 grains 3F Goex in the main and the prime. .530 round ball and Walmart pillow ticking patches. Works Great!
Planning to play with the load a bit more when the weather gets better but I shot an index card at 50 yards, elbows resting, gun not touching, just to see how I coulda done in the contest that had just ended. Here's a scan of that card.
Accurate enuff fer me!
scan.jpg

I'm gonna go find me a GPR flint today!! I've been playing around researching, reading, websurfing and asking questions about the right rifle for the right period and not shooting anything!!!! After reading this thread I am walking out the door and buying a GPR flinter so I can shoot right away.

I can order the "right" gun later!!!

Mid south shooters supply has a flint kit for $294 And you can get a full stock for it from TOW to put on it in the future.

The Great Plains rifle is extreemly dependable, and with its 1:66 twist it will keep time with anything else out there in competition (including the customs).

Keep yer powder dry
Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Swampman said:
"Lyman Trade Rifle with 48" twist is a mediocre shooter with ball, about 2 1/2" at 50 yards."

Excellent accuracy for that price range.

With a little experimentation with loads and patch/ball combination at 50yd. from rest the Lyman Trade Rifle will cut a single hole.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Billhuntz said:
I'm gonna go find me a GPR flint today!! I've been playing around researching, reading, websurfing and asking questions about the right rifle for the right period and not shooting anything!!!! After reading this thread I am walking out the door and buying a GPR flinter so I can shoot right away.

I can order the "right" gun later!!!

Tell you the truth, I wish my GPR .54 percussion were a flinter. Thinking about selling off a percussion or modern so I can buy a GPR flinter.
:hmm: Anyone want to trade a GPR flinter for a GPR percussion??

PS: Excellent shootin', Jethro224

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just got back from shooting my .54 caliber GPR off the bench for the first time. At 25 yards the holes were almost touching each other. At fifty yards I was shooting a bit high with 5 inch groups. I figure this was good for me considering this was only the second time I have shot a flintlock in my entire life and also the second round with my GPR. I was using .015 pre-lubed Traditions patches and .535 Hornady roundball.

Ron

Ron Vought said:
I just got back from shooting my .54 caliber GPR off the bench for the first time. At 25 yards the holes were almost touching each other. At fifty yards I was shooting a bit high with 5 inch groups. I figure this was good for me considering this was only the second time I have shot a flintlock in my entire life and also the second round with my GPR. I was using .015 pre-lubed Traditions patches and .535 Hornady roundball.
Ron

Sounds good...and you know this is a progressive disease, right?
:grin:
There's no cure...and there's no turning back...all you can hope for now is to keep it in remission by shooting more and more, occasionally adding another caliber, etc
:thumbsup:

roundball,

I can see where shooting a flintlock could get very addictive. I can't wait to get back out there and shoot. Never thought cleaining a gun could be this fun either.... :grin:

Ron

Ron Vought said:
Never thought cleaining a gun could be this fun either
Ron, one of the biggest cautions of this muzzleloading sport is the damage that can be done from not cleaning, drying, or lubing the bore (and the exterior) very, very, thoroughly.

IMO, it requires a discipline far greater than cleaning normally done with modern firearms.

It must be 100% clean...any trace amount of residue left anywhere will start corrosion;

Then it must be 100% dried before you lube it or you'll run the risk of lubing over the top of moisture, and rust can start to form under it;

After steps 1 & 2, you have to ensure 100% of the bores surface area is coated with lube to insulate it from air contact which cointains moisture or it'll rust;

IMO, nothing is more important than the cleaning, drying, lubing regimen of a muzzleloader using real BP or BP subs.
:thumbsup:

Tell you the truth, I wish my GPR .54 percussion were a flinter. Thinking about selling off a percussion or modern so I can buy a GPR flinter.
:hmm: Anyone want to trade a GPR flinter for a GPR percussion??

PS: Excellent shootin', Jethro224

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: [/quote]
When you trade I will trade you my GPR percussion for your GPR flinter :haha:

"I really can't see the GPR or T/C Hawken or any of it's copies, such as the Lyman Trade Rifle as a flinter. The general style is of the late percussion era, just seems all wrong to me"

I completely agree.

I agree roundball. My wife made a comment in regards to me cleaning my rifle yesterday. She said it "took as much time to clean it as I took at the range to shoot it". I am a big believer in clean guns and go the extra mile.

Ron

There was an article about cleaning muzzleloaders with windshield washer fluid in Muzzleblast a few years ago. 2 or 3 patches and clean as a whistle in less than 10 minutes. I wish that was available on line.

Swampman, that idea, using windshield washer fluid to clean a M-L seems to pop up every few years...I've done it. It works, it just doesn't work for me the way they say it will "just 3 patches..et c"...I confine it now to swabbing the bore at shoots, and stick to the hot soapy water method that I learned here on line which works exactly as promised...Hank

I shoot about three shots and swab the bore out with a patch soaked in Butches Bore Shine (Black Powder) Formula). I ran one patch down the barrel before I left the range yesterday, came home and did the hot soapy water thing and the barrel was much easier to clean. Seems to really loosen the crude.

Ron

Latest posts

Back