• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR first range session

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbokie said:
Is this something that should be done on all new flintlocks? Or is it specifically for the GPR?

Lyman is the worst I have seen but I can not say others don't need as thourgh a cleaning. It would not hurt I guess.

1: Blade edge up strikes higher shaving more sparks...2: Blade edge up lands with the flint horizontal over the pan, limiting the flash in a sideways dispersal, partialy toward the touch hole.

This is because the hammer cock on a Lyman is too short for proper operation. Putting the bevel down, sharp edge up, makes the flint strike the frizzen a little higher up. The partially corrects the poor geometry.

I'm not having any difficulties lighting the priming charge, it's just the main charge is not igniting. The flash hole was smaller than 1/16" so I drilled it out to that size for a start. We'll see how it goes.

BillinOregon said:
Duck: I had the same issues with a flint GPR, and it was very discouraging. I ended up trading it before sorting out the problem, but I suspect it is the lock geometry (partially addressed by placing the flint bevel up) and the need for a better touch hole liner. I know there are folks with very reliable flint GPRs, so there is a solution.
Be sure the flint is pointing towards the pan when its fired --thus sending your hot sparks into the pan to ignite the powder. I shoot 3 F in mine and prime with the same--I found 4 F tended to 'gunk' up the pan and touch hole.

By the way---Ive never encounted the 'bad' with the LGP and it is a good shooter to boot--I use my custom gun now and the LGP will be my sons starter.

My GPR sparks better with the flint bevel side down. Raises the point of impact with the frizzen, creating better sparks. You could also try FFFg for your main charge, it may ignite quicker. Mine likes 70 grains of FFFg.

BigDogg,

Thanks for the advice! I flipped my flint on my new Deerstalker and the spark increased 2 fold. Definitely hits the Frizzen higher and puts a better flash in the pan. :bow:

Charlie

I have only been shooting flintlocks for about 2 years but have my .54 GPR, which I built from a kit, pretty much 100% reliable if it does not go off either my flint is beat or I got the bore damp running a cleaning patch. As others have mentioned the RMC liner works great, my main charge is 2F and I prime with either 3F or 4F they both work fine. I am using the the knapped English flints and have found that although bevel down does hit the frizzen higher, bevel up centers the sparks better in the pan. Try some of things the more experienced guys have mentioned, that is what helped me in the beginning and although I hope to be able to afford something custom in the future the GPR is a fine rifle.

Tony.

Back