• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

got out and shot the green mtn 62

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
finally shot the green mountain smoothbore on a single trigger Renegade. used a .010 patch nothing else would fit, a 60 cal lead ball and 70gr of 3f. I tried 75 grains and the group really opened up. It looked like I got it dialed up as groups were good and the last shot hit the bulls, I tried one more got a hangfire. tried twice to shoot it out but nothing. I ended up pulling the ball, not easy. I had to go home as time ran out. I even wiped between shots bummer, I think I will use dry patches to wipe the bore next time. I will go out again tomorrow I hope to get this dialed up and shooting well enough to hunt with it next month. I am also looking forward to trying different ball and patch combonations. try to find some 595s and use .015 or pillow ticking. One thing I did discover is I need to get a jag wit a concave end to go on my starter and ramrod so I do not need to change them when I start and complete a prb. They seemed to push in the spire on the roundball I will probably get them for the 54 cal as well.

buttonbuck said:
"...used a .010 patch nothing else would fit, a 60 cal lead ball and 70gr of 3f. I tried 75 grains and the group really opened up...".
Ordinarily a mere 5 grain difference wouldn't cause such a radical sounding difference in accuracy unless another issue was cropping up...like possibly 75grns of 3F is the threshold at which the fire is too hot for the skimpy .010" patch to survive and its burning up...did you find/inspect any patches that were shot using 75grns when accuracy went south?

I have the same .62cal GM smoothbore barrel and .600s, .015" patches lubed with NL1000, and 70, 80, & 90 grns Goex 3F were all fine

The concave tips works ok for loading patched rd balls but don't use it if you decide to try the wads only method i talked about. If you do when you seat the last overshot card over the ball that concave tip will form the wad around the ball and it will fall right back out. I use the flat tip jag for loading rd balls and shot.

i

i

Order your balls from Track of the Wolf. They sell them in relatively small quantities, and then you can either buy a mold to cast your own, or buy them in quantity. Track has an on-line catalogue you can peruse, to see the balls, and their prices. It helps when ordering if you can give them the product number from the catalogue.

I went out and shot again today it went better. I did recover some of the .010 patches They were not burnt through but torn around where the imprint of the ball was. I did manage to fit a .015 patchs meant for a 54-58 cal to down the gullet and had good results. My question is what kind of accuracy can you expect from a smoothbore? My first shot dead on center. Others were randomly scattered at about 2 or 3 inches away from my first no real group. I get nice groups out of my other muzzleloaders and guns. WIth some more practice I figure the groups will tighten up and maybe try shooting 80 grains. I did notice some inperfections in the cast round balls I may take time to sort and weigh them, before I take the gun out again. I do have an oppertunity to cast some different sized balls. I think I will try a .595 I will also try 80 grains of 3f next time and see what we get.

The holes you see in the spent patches tell you that you have burrs or sharp edges on the land, that need to be worn down so they don't cut those holes. They also tell you that the .010" is probably too thin. Your better results with the .015" patches was to be expected. Stick with them.

Without seeing you shoot, so I can examine your postion, and consistency, I can't guess why your groups opened up. You have to be consistent with your load, and cleaning practices, and then you have to be consistent with shooting form and procedures. Another experienced shooter can stand beside you and watch what you are doing, to give you pointers on when you are being in consistent, and with what portion of the process. Correct shooting practice is what delivers consistent small groups.

buttonbuck said:
I went out and shot again today it went better. I did recover some of the .010 patches They were not burnt through but torn around where the imprint of the ball was. I did manage to fit a .015 patchs meant for a 54-58 cal to down the gullet and had good results. My question is what kind of accuracy can you expect from a smoothbore? My first shot dead on center. Others were randomly scattered at about 2 or 3 inches away from my first no real group. I get nice groups out of my other muzzleloaders and guns. WIth some more practice I figure the groups will tighten up and maybe try shooting 80 grains.
Glad you tried the .015'...a snug fit but the results are worth it.

My interest in shooting is always oriented towards the end result of hunting and 99% of my range shooting is done sitting in a small chair to simulate sitting in a cramped treestand or on the ground leaning against a tree...my goal is to keep all shots inside a 3" aim point sticker at 50yds while shooting from this position, and at that can usually get holes touching...from a bench it's usually a large ragged hole.
"...inperfections in the cast round balls I may take time to sort and weigh them, before I take the gun out again..."
Personal choice of course, but you won't see any difference at a 50yd target based upon weighing / sorting balls to weed out the typical minor imperfections that might occur in casting.
I do have an oppertunity to cast some different sized balls. I think I will try a .595. I will also try 80 grains of 3f next time and see what we get.
The .595s won't be as tight or course so you might consider an .018" pillow ticking patch if you drop down to that smaller size.

And remember...when getting familiar with a new muzzleloader and doing some load development, you really need to keep notes of all the different things you try and the results.

And it's usually best to only make one change at a time, then thoroughly wring that out before implementing another change...otherwise you'll end a day at the range and by the time you get home might find you can't precisely remember which size ball did the best with which size patch, with which size powder charge.

Example might be to select the .595s:
Try them with a .015" patch using 70, 80, 90grns 3F.

Then try the .595s with an .018" pillow ticking using 70, 80, 90grns 3F.

Then select the .600s and repeat the same cycles;

Record all possible details on each target for historical record, etc.

paulvallandigham said:
The holes you see in the spent patches tell you that you have burrs or sharp edges on the land, that need to be worn down so they don't cut those holes.

The barrel is smoothbore. No lands to worry about. More than likely, gas is escaping around the ball causing the burnout.

I was shooting at about 35 yards, seated my gun was on a rest but not a sandbagged bench or anything on a range. I am going out turkey day weekend with a friend who will watch my form. I will also warm up with a .22 rifle before shooting the muzzleloader. My renegade is ready to go for hunting next friday the 16th hope to get good enough with the smoothbore to take a deer during the second firearm season or the muzzleloading season. If not there is the late January season.

Sorry for my mistake. The holes are definitely caused by gas burns, and totally explains the large group at 50 yards. When he gets the right patch and ball combination, his balls will leave holes that are touching, or overlapping at 50 yards.

god willing I will get that tight of a group at 50 yards. I am going to the fabric store and plan to buy some tight linen material that is .015 in I will bring a .010 patch and a pillow ticking patch to compare. I really need to get some set of calipers or a micrometer. They do not offer the thickness at Jo Ann fabrics. I plan to use square patches lubed with bore butter or preferably a homemade equivalent I do have some bees wax, Murphy's oil soap and olive oil.

Back