• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my new for me .54 cal Great Plains Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim Bob said:
I noticed that the spring is kind of weak myself on rear sight....

I forgot to add that to my list of GPR fixes. Most of the reason I've always changed mine over to primitive sights, as a matter of fact.

Either put a lots stronger spring in there, or wedge a small chunk of leather under the moving leaf once you're sighted in. If you push down on that rear sight, the adjustment screw has no friction on it and will turn on a whim. It's pretty darned easy to brush the sight against your leg, which pushes the sight leaf down as your pant leg spins the screw.

Just wear a large sombrero and you will always be out of the rain.
If you get one of those new led lights, you can glue it to the sombrero rim, and then you will always be able to shoot :grin: :hmm:
It is great to be helpful!

Well now for an update, due to the weather, sickness and holidays, I did shoot the GPR a total of 16 shots (8) per day on 4 targets. It’s been cold, zero to 5 above while shooting.

Two things I noticed right away, I really like the sight plane and how easy it is to mount the rifle vs the T/C Hawken. And NO cheek slap. :) This rifle was built in 2004 and not shot. I found no evidence that the hammer ever struck a cap and no cap residue in the hammer cup. After switching to the new nipple from TOW no problems. The trigger pull is crisp and at this point no need to adjust the set screw.

I am used to loading the .535 ball and .018 patches in the T/C Hawken with the green mtn barrel which is very tight. These .530 and .015 felt very easy going in, which I was worried about the group however,I have nice tight groups about 2 ½ “below point of aim and a smidge to the right. I have no plans on adjusting the rear sight for a while.

I plan on getting a new ram rod for the rifle, I don't think this one will hold up long. I do have a metal range rod that I am using instead of it.

I am really happy that I went with the GPR and really impressed with the looks and how well it fits me. Very happy I went this route.

Yes, I suggest a better ramrod. Mine broke right away and I ordered one of those composite unbreakable ones and I like it a lot better. Sounds like your GPR is right there and you will enjoy for sure.

Sounds like you had a good range session, although just hearing of temps that low makes all the joints in my body hurt. South Texas living you know....
Anyway, I would suggest that you get a nice range rod in addition to the under barrel ram rod. Get one that has a free spinning T-handle so that you'll have plenty of leverage in case of having to pull a ball or stuck patch. Makes loading a lot easier too.

For my GPR'S I prefer the fixed sight over the adjustable one. The reason is to me it is more solid, I was not impressed with their adjustable ones. Glad it is shooting well for you, especially in 0-5 degree temp. You are a better man than me to be target shooting in those temps. Congrats. DANNY

Danny Ross said:
....., especially in 0-5 degree temp. You are a better man than me to be target shooting in those temps. Congrats. DANNY
Me too, I can't even imagine being in temps that cold.

Anyway, I much prefer the fixed sights as well and never could use the adjustable one's with any degree of accuracy.

I have the same rifle and I love it. Shoots dead on at 100 meters off hand on a 10 inch gong which is minute of moose or deer with a 535 hand cast ball and .018 pillow ticking with bees wax and crisco lard and 90gr 2f goex with a no 11 cap. what more is there to ask for? I live in the interior of Northern B.C. and have hunted at -35C with this rifle and it has never failed to bring home the bacon when there is bacon to be had. Oh yes and get a good hickory ramrod from track of the wolf right away, dont use the stock one that comes with the caplock

Ditto on the Lyman .50 with .010 patch and .490 RB. Great in my gun. CCI caps work great too.

Back