• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Original Rear Sight On Lyman Great Plains Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
By now, most realize I am an old, forgetful, unorganized geezer. About 2004, I replaced the rear sight on my Lyman Great Plains Rifle with an adjustable one. What I'm asking is for someone to post a photo of their original sight (preferably on a rifle). I think it's around here somewhere, but over the years probably mixed in with about a half-dozen others. Manual's missing in action, too, but that will show up eventually. Thanks again for any assistance!

Which "original"? The kits came with a fixed and an adjustable.

The fixed rear looks like this.

rs-lyman-gpr_1.jpg

I need to find one of the fixed sights, the one that came with my kit was over filed and is too small now.

One caution about the original sight: It has a wandering zero, i.e., it wiggles a tad from side to side. Once zeroed, you can shim it so that it is tight, or degrease it prior to installation, zero it, then trickle some thin Crazy Glue in to hold your setting. (Don't ask....!)

Last edited:
THANKS TO ALL! Found both - fixed & adjustable. Hadn't opened the GPR box since 2004. Recall I'd replaced it with a Williams sight - adjustable for windage.

Organized guys label parts. I still use the law enforcement organization system ("COP") - "Check Other Pile" for everything. Thanks again.

Back