• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my kit in today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam86

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I understand that it's a kit and that requires me to put it together and I have no problem with that, I have built a kit before. Holy manure!!! I'm about 2 seconds away from boxin it back up and telling telling them to send it back when it's more then a log and a few block of metal!!! :cursing: would it be to much to ask one for one of you guys that has more experience to give me a call so I can see if the kit is ok or if I'm just being dumb or whatever. Thanks Sam

Eeeee. That's why after assembling what was basically a 90% completed kit from T/C I decided a muzzleloading kit was beyond my talents; certainly the metal work was. What you might have preferred was an "in the white" that has most of the mechanical hardships figured out.

"Kit" can mean anything from cast components without bolt holes drilled or threaded and frizzen as cast plus a plank of wood on up the scale to metal work rough but inletted and wood finishing only.

Sounds like you got a "builder's kit" that means an experienced smith could make enough alterations to customize it as needed.

All I had to do was see a well made gun, and I knew a kit wasn't for me. I just don't have the skills that would be needed. Makes me think a well made gun is a bargain compared to a kit, at least for me.

Where did you purchase the "kit"? Some companies have premachined "kits" requiring only fine filing, sanding , and finishing. Ohers just send you a "pack of parts" in the rough! This is one area where you have to know in advance what to expect! :hmm: :hmm:

You got a tough lesson. Word "kit" can mean a buncha parts to assemble and finish.
Who did you buy it from? Many of the reputable companies out there would exchange it for you. Then you could get a 90% kit or, as suggested, an 'in the white'. The in the white would give you a lot of experience with dissassembly and assembly. Next time you could step up to something requiring more skill.

I got it from pecatonica river, i know I posses the mechical skill to do this, I just need to know where to start! There are screws that I just can not figura out where they go, trigger guard, butt plate, side plate have chucks of metal on them. Do I cut hem off???? I think I just need someone to say what goes where.

Oh yeah the breech plug, it has math marks but when you put it in they are 1/4" apart. The flats line up but only at finger tight, I can tighten it moe with my fingers

Have you got any of the books about how to build a gun?

The first thing to do is make sure the barrel is bedded correctly.

Sam86 said:
Oh yeah the breech plug, it has math marks but when you put it in they are 1/4" apart. The flats line up but only at finger tight, I can tighten it moe with my fingers

You need to get a 12" or larger wrench and turn the breechplug until the marks line up. Do this after you have inlet the barrel, then put the breechplug in and inlet the plug.

No the other kit I have done was a traditions. Which is way way different

Hi Sam,
Pecatonica supplies pretty good kits, as a rule.
Which kit did you get?
Maybe we can get you started.
There are ample books & videos to help you along the way.
Making a rifle from a kit is like taking a bycicle across the USA. You can't be in a hurry, and you have to enjoy the journey and the experience.
If you try to finish the kit by this weekend, you will mess it up.
Ask and we will help.
The only dumb question, is the one you were too proud to ask, or the same question that you asked twenty times over.
All the best.
Old Ford

You have a "parts" kit, vastly different from an "assembly" kit like like TC or traditions.

You will have a lot learning to do to finish your rifle, completion will take you 150+ hours.

I recommend you buy the Ron Ehlert DVDs on finishing a parts kit before you start so you will know what you are getting into.

I made up my own parts kit, never made a rifle before in my life. I bought the books, videos and haunted the flintlock building sites and finished my rifle. Took me 2 years and a lot of screw-ups but I ended up with a pretty nice first attempt.

If you feel you have the ability to do your kit and all you need is some direction and advise I`ll bet all the information you need about "where to start, "what goes where", and how to deal with certain parts is right here on this forum. Just spend a day or two reading back posts here in the gun builders bench. You didn`t say what kind of gun your kit will make but Track of the Wolf has some really nice plans that`ll show you how the parts fit in relation to each other and what goes where. I`ll bet they have a drawing for something close to what your building. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/304/1

I have also never built a gun except for several CVA/Traditions kits and am going to take on building a Northwest Gun this winter. I`ve been reading everything I can find on here and other places and know I can do it. It probably won`t turn out as nice as some of the guys here could do but it will be mine. I didn`t even buy a "kit". My funds are tight right now so what I did was buy my parts piecemeal as I could afford them. I had Pecatonica send me a barrel and stock cut for the barrel and ramrod only. That way I could use whatever lock and other parts I decided on later.

Sorry for being so long winded, but what I`m trying to say is if you think you have the skills to do it, the info is here. Just do alot of research and reading befor you start cutting your wood or grinding your metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam,
the task which you have taken on is a big one. I tried it myself and failed but dont let that discourage you. I have a DVD by Bob Turpin from Track of The Wolf which helped me get a basic idea of what to do. Its not the best but its a start. PT me your address and I'll send it to you. Good luck with your project and ask lots of questions here. There are some who will help and guide you along the way.

I'd get some books and read them and practice each step before proceeding. It's not practical to get step by step advice online.

Sam86 said:
I understand that it's a kit and that requires me to put it together and I have no problem with that, I have built a kit before. Holy manure!!! I'm about 2 seconds away from boxin it back up and telling telling them to send it back when it's more then a log and a few block of metal!!! :cursing: would it be to much to ask one for one of you guys that has more experience to give me a call so I can see if the kit is ok or if I'm just being dumb or whatever. Thanks Sam

I will help you IF... it is a rifle style I am familiar with. Email me at [email protected] . In the Subject like put Pecatonica Kit, so it don't go into spam.

Keith Lisle

Sam, The word "kit" is a misleading word. It can mean different things to different people. What you have is an "assemblage of parts" to build a rifle. Most think of a kit, as a snap together parts that look like a gun, and can just be screwed together and finished.
It does require knowledge, skill, and the proper tools and materials to put one of these "kits" together.
If you plan on proceeding, buy a couple of books first. Maybe, Recreating the American Longrifle, or The art of building the Pennysylvania Longrifle. Then read, and study, and measure, then measure again, before you cut ANYTHING. It's a lot easier to take wood, or metal off, than it is to put it back on.

Good luck

You still haven't said what rifle this is. A Hawken? Bedford? Vincent? What? Then we can look at Pecatonica's catalog or web site and see what you got.

Back