• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my $50.00 dolla rifle. lol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buck rogers

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well the guy from work finally found the rifle he's been telling me about. The barrel say's Ardesa Spain & I found the gun on Traditions web site listed as the Frontier. I think it will be an ok side lock to start out with seems pretty clean & solid on the out side but the inside was a bit dirty so I ran a brush, bore cleaner & lube thru it. Dropped a bobber beacon down the barrel & it seemed to be pretty darn shiny altho it did have a little rust on the outer rim of the barrel that I don't think will be a problem. The lock seem's good & firm but the set trigger is kinda hard to pull is that normal? Please feel free to leave opinions or info you think I may need to know. I will give it a proper cleaning tomorrow. Thanks

P.S. i think I will call her Rosie.
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product_info.php?products_id=138

Last edited by a moderator:
"Dropped a bobber beacon down the barrel & it seemed to be pretty darn shiny altho"

What is a "bobber beacon"?

If i'm thinking right, it's a miniature glowing light stick that you can attach to a fishing bobber so you can see when you get a bite at night. Haven't seen them around here in a while though, hope they still make the little thigns cause they used to be a lot of fun.

Clean the lock and trigger assembly and oil. The set trigger will pull somewhat hard until you hear the "click" and then the front trigger is set. The front trigger should pull easy, just a light touch. Sounds like you might have a pretty good rifle! :thumbsup:

The rear "set trigger" is cocking a heavy spring so it is supposed to be heavy when it is pulled.

The front trigger has a small latch on it that catches the rear triggers blade and holds it in the "set" position until it is touched.

Once set, it should only take an ounce or so to pull the front trigger.

The front trigger should also be capable of firing the gun without the rear trigger being set.

The pull will be much greater but some folks prefer this for hunting.

That was the first front stuffer I ever owned. Still have it, and is my favorite rifle. It fits me better than my more expensive rifles, and seems to be more accurate, or at least I'm more accurate with it. :haha:

The set trigger on mine takes a considerable amount of pressure to set, but when set, the main trigger doesn't take much more than blowing on it to fire.

Never set the set trigger until you have the rifle pointed at what you want to shoot.

I've never tried to adjust it, but the screw between the triggers, I believe, is used to set the amount of pressure the front trigger needs to fire.

The screw between the two triggers adjusts the amount of engagement between the catch on the front trigger and the latch on the rear trigger.

This results in changing the distance one has to move the front trigger to get it to release the rear "set" trigger. It really doesn't change the weight of the pull of the front trigger.

Well.... I guess it might change the weight of pull if it was adjusted so that the front triggers catch was only hanging onto the rear trigger by a hair. The problem with this is that if it is only hanging on by a hair, the slightest bump to the stock could cause it to release the set trigger and the gun would fire.

I've seen a lot of these set triggers which the owner had "adjusted" to the point that the rear trigger couldn't even be set. The owner usually said the trigger was broken. Actually it only needed to be adjusted to where it should have been all along.

If any of you come across one of these guns, here's the way to adjust that screw.

First, unscrew the little screw at least 4 turns.
Then, "set" the rear trigger by pulling it back until you hear the "click" of the front triggers catch engage the rear triggers latch.

Then, slowly screw the screw in until the rear trigger is released. Keep your fingers away from the front side of the rear trigger when you do this because it will snap forward with a lot of speed and power.

Once the rear trigger is released, unscrew the little screw at least 1 full turn. 1 1/2- 2 turns IMO is better.

It's fixed. :grin:

OH. On the Lyman Great Plains Rifle or Hunter the screw is too short to actually cause the rear trigger to be released. IMO the maker of these rifles didn't want the owners to be able to make the gun unsafe by screwing the little screw in too far. They did this by installing a screw that is too short.
If your bound and determined to adjust the travel the front trigger needs to release the rear trigger on one of these Lyman rifles, you can buy a longer metric threaded replacement screw at many hardware stores.

What is a "bobber beacon"?

Our local WalMart has them in the fishing department. Also Academy Sports if you have one in your area.

2.jpg

Latest posts

Back