• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got any dumb statements by idiots?? (Muzzleloading shooting related)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My argument is that in one weekend, a single Gold Miner using a Suction Dredge can abstract between 600 and 1200 pounds of sinkers from a stream! My shot gun blasts are minuscule compared to that.
I think the idea is that when a bird is wounded and it flies away, it's likely to be eaten by a larger raptor. Any lead pellets left inside are then ingested by the larger species, of which most are federally protected.

I'm not claiming to know if it's true, or exactly how lead is moved around the environment, but I don't think the issue is lead left lying on the ground or in the water.

I think the idea is that when a bird is wounded and it flies away, it's likely to be eaten by a larger raptor. Any lead pellets left inside are then ingested by the larger species, of which most are federally protected.

I'm not claiming to know if it's true, or exactly how lead is moved around the environment, but I don't think the issue is lead left lying on the ground or in the water.
Here in Oregon you can use lead shot for upland birds but must use steel (or other non-lead) shot for waterfowl. My assumption was that they didn't want pellets that didn't penetrate to end up in the water.

Walt

Our local Shooting Range is for all kinds of firearms. There are only two safe directions for the muzzle, up or down range. The floors are concrete. There is Astroturf in front to make it easier to pick up brass. Anything that goes, bang, pop, or boom is pointed down range. I know we've been told for years to point our muzzles at a blade of grass or a leaf when popping a cap. If it moves, the channel is clear. We use a small piece of cotton ball. If the cap shoots it out, it's okay to load. This idea came from a time when I popped two caps then loaded my gun and had a misfire.

Walt
One of the range masters told me he always loaded a charge of powder and fired it off to clear the bore of oil. Since I started doing that. I rarely get misfires.

I attended a seminar about lead ammunition, at this was pretty much what was said. The raptors ingest lead fragment primarily from carcasses. There's pretty solid research that it has impacted flight altitudes and patterns. Very interesting stuff.

I'm still not on the non-lead train, but the research into lead poisoning in raptors was certainly something I hadn't be presented with.

One of the range masters told me he always loaded a charge of powder and fired it off to clear the bore of oil. Since I started doing that. I rarely get misfires.
I do that after I pop the caps. It's called a "Fouling" shot. That first load may not hit the same spot on the target as that of the subsequent ones. This way, all are from a dirty barrel. Of course, the caps come after I run a clean patch down the barrel and apply an empty mark on my Stainless Steel Ram Rod with a black Sharpie.

Walt

no lead on national forest land is a blow, but it doesn't put us out to pasture

back about 9 or 10 years ago we had a member do a lot of testing of brass, and steel balls and his evidence he presented demonstrated very clearly that such ammunition will work and is deadly, now with such ammo the absolute NEED to be 100% certain you do not dry ball or foul your powder is paramount, you are never going to pull a brass ball

now it is hard to find such bearing balls in some sizes but the larger guns are in good shape
if you’ve got real brass balls you don’t need the rifle. go bear hunting with just a knife. That take brass balls.

Writing scientific papers is easier when you already know what results you want.
that’s why reputable scientific works are peer reviewed part of which looks at observational bias and repeatability of results. Proper science begins with a question and a testable hypothesis not with and end result.

I attended a seminar about lead ammunition, at this was pretty much what was said. The raptors ingest lead fragment primarily from carcasses. There's pretty solid research that it has impacted flight altitudes and patterns. Very interesting stuff.

I'm still not on the non-lead train, but the research into lead poisoning in raptors was certainly something I hadn't be presented with.
That's what I heard too.

How's this for f#cking dumb ?
The New York State Assembly today passed legislation that bans lead ammo from being used on state lands and all lands in the New York City watershed. Talk about a big blow to frontstuffers! This is most of the Adirondack and Catskill parks! It hurts just talking about it!
Don't cartridge bullets also contain lead? They just killed hunting for a lot of people...
Yet another reason not to live in NYS.

Here in Oregon you can use lead shot for upland birds but must use steel (or other non-lead) shot for waterfowl. My assumption was that they didn't want pellets that didn't penetrate to end up in the water.

Walt
I remember when that restriction started, they said that the ducks/waterfowl would dive to the bottom and ingest small gravel/sand to help with food digestion.(gizzard) in doing so, they would ingest the lead and end up dead from lead poisoning. They would be eaten by other scavengers which would become lead poisoned as well…
So to mediate this, they restricted lead shot for waterfowl hunting.

Latest posts

Back