• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got a new smooth bore flintlock please help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pineapple finial first made it appearance around 1786 but it took another 40 years before it became the most used , the acorn and the acanthus were still popular in the early 1800,s also lets not forget that prior to 1800 most English guns were built with foreign barrel for which the were stamped with a letter F proof marks are the best for the gun age but they also have faults .
Feltwad

The old man I bought it from said the smoothbore was built in 1796.
My apologies. When I read your 1st post my mind turned "1796" into 1776.
I also missed that you aren't stateside, so neither is the gun. Would have definitely recommended contacting @Feltwad if I'd realized that. Too bad he can't physically check the gun out for you.

Hello all, I recently acquired a smooth bore 16gauge flintlock muzzleloader from a 95 year old farmer. He said that it has been in his family for many generations. Had no children to pass it on to. So he wanted it to go to good use and a good home. He said it was built in 1796.
It has a Damascus barrel, horn and antler accents. Had a stamp on the barrel which I am unsure what it is. And the lock reads “FOTHERBY” in all caps. Hand engraving on almost all metal parts. I paid 1100 for this. What are your thoughts? Do you guys have an knowledge on this smoothbore? Maker or any info. And how much it might be worth? Greatly appreciated everyone. And thank you, I can add more photos if needed
Fotherby is a town in Lincolnshire England

Not much too add the name of Fotherby does appear in both Wakefield and Leeds John and William may have been brothers and Christopher a son . The barrel looks foreign if so will have the letter F if English will have Birmingham proof marks .I would say that this gun is later and not a true Fotherby just the lock which has been badly fitted into the lock housing .
I have worked on several Fotherby guns all percussion the workmanship was always good especially the inletting these guns have been mostly 16 and 20 bore s/b in fact a good friend of mine still shoots a a 16 which I restored . If the gun is good condition which it does look all right enjoy it using a modest load for the bore size , if I had the gun in my hands I would have been able to give a better answer.
Feltwad

thank you for the reply, I appreciate it

The butt plate , the wood , the trigger guard and finials , are very similar to those on my Henry Nock 14 ga shotgun which started life in some time in 1790's as a flintlock and unfortunately was turned into a caplock some time ago. I would think British shotguns made in 1840 would be some sort of percussion lock ,probably cap lock. The photo is of my Henry Knock trigger guard pineapple finial
View attachment 113044
Thanks for the post! Yes it has the same pineapple on it

Here's a picture of the trigger guard & pineapple on my Samuel Nock 11ga. The gunsmith I am getting it from, Clay Smith (Restorer, Bruce LePage) has this gun dated "circa 1850". Also, see pic of the barrel. It might help you I.D. yours. Hope this helps.

1641415302736.png

1641416283682.png

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the trigger guard & pineapple on my Samuel Nock 11ga. The gunsmith I am getting it from, Clay Smith (Restorer, Bruce LePage) has this gun dated "circa 1850". Also, see pic of the barrel. It might help you I.D. yours. Hope this helps.

View attachment 113124
View attachment 113126
The first msg and photo you sent was more similar. The top leaf of the pineapple is curved

The butt plate , the wood , the trigger guard and finials , are very similar to those on my Henry Nock 14 ga shotgun which started life in some time in 1790's as a flintlock and unfortunately was turned into a caplock some time ago. I would think British shotguns made in 1840 would be some sort of percussion lock ,probably cap lock. The photo is of my Henry Knock trigger guard pineapple finial
View attachment 113044
More like this one as far as the pineapple

The pineapple finial first made it appearance around 1786 but it took another 40 years before it became the most used , the acorn and the acanthus were still popular in the early 1800,s also lets not forget that prior to 1800 most English guns were built with foreign barrel for which the were stamped with a letter F proof marks are the best for the gun age but they also have faults .
Feltwad
Would that be a thistle instead if a pineapple?
View attachment 113044
Being a British built shotgun, would that be a thistle rather than a pineapple?

Back