• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got a new smooth bore flintlock please help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can’t find a gunsmith that specializes in muzzleloading shotguns, at a minimum, I would take a close look with a borescope. If you don’t know someone with one or own one yourself, they can be had for well under $100 dollars. Niece’s farther in law had an old double with Damascus tubes. He knew I was into muzzleloaders and asked me to take a look at it. Although it looked good, from the outside and with a small light down the bore, my borescope told a different story. Look like a couple miles of bad road. Niece’s husband and FIL decided to test fire it. Smoke came out of the breech area on the first shot and the stopped. The right barrel split at the breech, and further examination revealed collateral damage to the left barrel. Guess what? It was determined it was my fault for not raising more of a fuss that the barrels were suspect.

At a minimum, get a borescope and check out the bore. The gun deserves that. There are countless old guns with Damascus barrels being shot today without issue, just make sure yours is up to the task. Suggest you wait for a couple of our British forum members to offer their opinion (folks like @Feltwad and @Britsmoothy), they are very familiar with older smoothbores, more so than most here or I will ever will be.

Very much appreciated your input, and I will definitely look into the very helpful information you have provided to me. Looking forward to hearing from those members. I am online trying to find a borescope or a smithy with one as we speak. Again, thank you

Very much appreciated your input, and I will definitely look into the very helpful information you have provided to me. Looking forward to hearing from those members. I am online trying to find a borescope or a smithy with one as we speak. Again, thank you
For what it is worth, I am using a Teslong WiFi borescope. Believe many others here are sold on the Teslong brand. Just need to do your own research to be sure it’s right for you.

For what it is worth, I am using a Teslong WiFi borescope. Believe many others here are sold on the Teslong brand. Just need to do your own research to be sure it’s right for you.

appreciate your help

Nice looking gun.
Hopefully some of the better experts like @dave_person or a couple others will chime in. I would also post it on the ALR site.
I don't think it is as old as he told you based on the lock style and checkered style on the wrist, bit I very well could be wrong. It also could be a replacement lock. But certainly is a fine vintage gun.
I'd be carefull with the heavier loads usually associated with turkey hunting because of the gun's age and the Damascus barrel.
I think you did well for the money.

Nice looking gun. English made shotgun 1840's era is my guess. You could pin it down by researching the lock makers name and years of business.
James

thank you for the complement, I’m very curious about this smoothbore. The old man was still “all there” up top. And was very certain of the year it was made. But who knows. And that is a good idea.

Nice looking gun.
Hopefully some of the better experts like @dave_person or a couple others will chime in. I would also post it on the ALR site.
I don't think it is as old as he told you based on the lock style and checkered style on the wrist, bit I very well could be wrong. It also could be a replacement lock. But certainly is a fine vintage gun.
I'd be carefull with the heavier loads usually associated with turkey hunting because of the gun's age and the Damascus barrel.
I think you did well for the money.

thank you for the complement, my lady fell in love with it (one of her late Christmas/New Years presents.) this smooth bore definitely has my curiosity for sure. Looking forward to more people chiming in about it. The old man assured me it has been handed down from father to son ever since it was made LONG ago he said. Whatever year it actually is, I feel very honored and luck to have it in our home now. I appreciate the precautionary word of advice. I will definitely take that into consideration. I’ve been advised to get it inspected by a professional smithy before firing it. There’s something just so cool to me about using an antique rifle or smoothbore to harvest game to feed my family. I don’t know if I could ever”wall hang” something like this. UNLESS it proved to be unsafe for my lady to use of course!

I found out a little bit of info on the gun maker. “
There were two gunmakers, William & John both named Fotherby from Leeds.
One could have worked in Wakefield at one time.” From another website on gun builders. another site “FOTHERBY / WAKEFIELD" on top (John Fotherby: operated in Wakefield 1810-1830).”. . The old man I bought it from said the smoothbore was built in 1796. Which could be possible if the fellas were making guns in another city before they worked in Wakefield. Hope this helps us find out more information. Thank you everyone for your help!

I found out a little bit of info on the gun maker. “
There were two gunmakers, William & John both named Fotherby from Leeds.
One could have worked in Wakefield at one time.” From another website on gun builders. another site “FOTHERBY / WAKEFIELD" on top (John Fotherby: operated in Wakefield 1810-1830).”. . The old man I bought it from said the smoothbore was built in 1796. Which could be possible if the fellas were making guns in another city before they worked in Wakefield. Hope this helps us find out more information. Thank you everyone for your help!
I'm certainly not an expert on these guns but there are several things that made me guess 1840's English. One it looks English made and most likely is. Also the lock has a roller frozen which I believe is a later feature and it is halfstock. (Typically) a later feature. Either way it is nice condition and looks really neat.
James

Not much too add the name of Fotherby does appear in both Wakefield and Leeds John and William may have been brothers and Christopher a son . The barrel looks foreign if so will have the letter F if English will have Birmingham proof marks .I would say that this gun is later and not a true Fotherby just the lock which has been badly fitted into the lock housing .
I have worked on several Fotherby guns all percussion the workmanship was always good especially the inletting these guns have been mostly 16 and 20 bore s/b in fact a good friend of mine still shoots a a 16 which I restored . If the gun is good condition which it does look all right enjoy it using a modest load for the bore size , if I had the gun in my hands I would have been able to give a better answer.
Feltwad

The butt plate , the wood , the trigger guard and finials , are very similar to those on my Henry Nock 14 ga shotgun which started life in some time in 1790's as a flintlock and unfortunately was turned into a caplock some time ago. I would think British shotguns made in 1840 would be some sort of percussion lock ,probably cap lock. The photo is of my Henry Knock trigger guard pineapple finial
P1020967 (3).JPG

Back