• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good vs Bad Sprue Shooting Test: Lee Mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, not too shabby. That would be a game getting load. Keep working on it and you can get it to where you can hit squirrel heads with it. It's not my first choice for a squirrel rifle but as long as you hit them in the head..... :thumbsup:

When you are out hunting you don't need to wipe between the first and probably the second shot.
After the third shot you may have collected enough baked on residue to make loading difficult and you accuracy may have left.
If you can shoot many shots without wiping and still get good groups I congratulate you.

Dutch Schoultz

I dug out a couple of molds that I have had packed away in the garage for many years. The steel .490 mold was covered with surface rust and may or may not drop a decent ball after cleaned up. It was stored with freshly cast balls in the cavities and they were still bright.

The Lee mold basically looked like the day it was put away. Not rusting is one positive for a Lee mold.

Anytime I need to remove surface rust I drop the piece into a plastic container of Vapo-Rust.
Leave it for a couple of hours and you'll be amazed. :thumbsup:

I use to have my round balls from my Lee molds do what yours is but I solved that problem by not holding my dipper tight against the sprue plate. It allowed the air to escape from under the plate. I also made sure the vent line on the mold halfs were clean. It's odd that you get away running you lead so hot and not flashing the mold. I'm sure you know that getting lead hot like that puts lead vapor onto the air. As far as the sprue I get with my Lyman mold. I tumble them in a small rock tumbler I have with lead shot. Rounds the sprue off and make my round balls black and stops them from getting that white nasty stuff on them when they're storied for long periods of time.

Latest posts

Back