• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good Old Rhubarb!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You either love it or hate it, but Rhubarb time is quickly sneaking up on us. I have two patches and their already up about 6 inches and growing fast.

Pies,cakes, jams and jelly, we like it in all forms. What say you guy sand gals?

Rick

A friend of mine makes the most delicious strawberry-rhubarb pie. The filling is her home-made strawberry-rhubarb jam.

Never had much of it, however making a rhubarb wine has always been on my list. Have heard positive remarks about them.

Oh man, I love rhubarb. Can't have the sugar and other carbs for pies anymore, but my wife makes a stewed rhubarb with Splenda. I use it like cranberry sauce on chicken,as a topping on steel cut oatmeal and spread on rye toast with a couple of fried eggs on top. (Sounds odd but is delicious.) Good stuff!

We don't grow our own but it's one of the earlier items at the local farmers market.

Jeff

My grandma made the best strawberry ruebarb pie oh man was that stuff good. Gotta check to see if anyone was able to save that one

Cake.......rhubarb cake.....I burry my face in a whole pan of cake.... :haha:

Rhubarb crisp is good too....

Anyone drink rhubarb juice?

How about jam or jelly?

Rhubarb :) But, I hear that the tanginess is due to oxalic acid, and it could cause problems if a person overindulges???

Years ago my wife saw my daughters chewing a rhubarb leaf. The girls were preschool and early grade school age at the time. She called the poison control center and they advise her the girls would probably have to eat a huge amount of leaves to suffer any ill effects. Especially since they don't taste all that good, that was unlikely. Now, if one were to cook up a bunch and eat them, that might be a different story.

I like rhubarb pie etc.

When I was real young there was a rhubarb patch growing by the house. All the kids around used to pick and eat the stalks. We were told to never eat the leaves because they were poison. At that time a good friend's father swore tomato's were poison too.

My late wife was an Iowa girl and did teach me one thing about both rhubarb and asparagus...use'em while they're young! Big or either are pithy and chewy. Now that's an education a Texas kid can use. Teaching her about chiles was a bit more trying! :wink: :rotf:

We used to dare kids to bite a chunk of rhubarb stalk and watch their reaction. Rhubarb is like some other items, basically sour and bitter until enough sugar is added to hide the taste. With enough sugar, you could make horse radish pie.

zimmerstutzen said:
We used to dare kids to bite a chunk of rhubarb stalk and watch their reaction. Rhubarb is like some other items, basically sour and bitter until enough sugar is added to hide the taste. With enough sugar, you could make horse radish pie.

....make that horse radish pie and let us know the results!

Here's one for ya all! RHUBARB CREAM PIE! Know a small café near here that specialize in making it and you better be there early to get a piece.

Rick

I love the stuff, too. It's been too long since I made rhubarb cobbler.
When I was a kid in Tacoma, Wash., in the 1960s, our class took a field trip to the agricultural experiment station in Puyallup. I will never forget when one of the "researchers" brought out a tray of jellied rhubarb candies they were experimenting with. Boy those were good!

Back