• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good morning from upstate SC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brushyspoons

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello all, I've been lurking and learning as much as I can from these forums for a little over a month now and just pulled the trigger on ordering parts to build my first muzzleloader this week. I've been hunting most of my life with centerfire rifles, and my grandfather who introduced me to hunting and shooting built a handful of muzzleloaders in the early 70s with Bill Large barrels. By the time I was old enough to hunt around the turn of the century he had long since moved on from black powder, but seeing the longrifles he built whenever he pulled them out of the safe seems to have planted a seed in my mind that I wanted to do the same. Between the news of the Goex plant continuing black powder production, threads here and elsewhere painting a bleak picture for steel prices, and more parts showing up as backordered or just plain out of stock online, I figured now was high time to get moving on a build of my own. It will be a .32 flintlock Tennessee rifle, I'm working from a blank and have TOTW's Tennessee Longrifle plan drawing to hopefully guide me along to something that resembles a rifle. I hope to have it done by October to show to the squirrels at the local WMA when their season opens up, but it will take as long as it takes. Thanks all, and I hope to be seeing a lot of you over at the Gun Builder's Bench subforum here in about a week's time.

Welcome, myself as well a 35 years between builds as well, I do enjoy working on them, looking to build or buy a .54 with elk in mind.

Hello all, I've been lurking and learning as much as I can from these forums for a little over a month now and just pulled the trigger on ordering parts to build my first muzzleloader this week. I've been hunting most of my life with centerfire rifles, and my grandfather who introduced me to hunting and shooting built a handful of muzzleloaders in the early 70s with Bill Large barrels. By the time I was old enough to hunt around the turn of the century he had long since moved on from black powder, but seeing the longrifles he built whenever he pulled them out of the safe seems to have planted a seed in my mind that I wanted to do the same. Between the news of the Goex plant continuing black powder production, threads here and elsewhere painting a bleak picture for steel prices, and more parts showing up as backordered or just plain out of stock online, I figured now was high time to get moving on a build of my own. It will be a .32 flintlock Tennessee rifle, I'm working from a blank and have TOTW's Tennessee Longrifle plan drawing to hopefully guide me along to something that resembles a rifle. I hope to have it done by October to show to the squirrels at the local WMA when their season opens up, but it will take as long as it takes. Thanks all, and I hope to be seeing a lot of you over at the Gun Builder's Bench subforum here in about a week's time.
Sounds great! I was at Ft. Gordon in the 60's, and it was a short hop over to Edgefield, SC. I've often read the name Bill Large relative to barrels; obviously a quality product. Best of luck!

Clearly great minds think alike, just joined a day ago, also in the upstate.

Bill

Latest posts

Back