• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good Find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twsteven

36 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend and I went to a local gun show yesterday and there, lying on one of the tables, was a mint condition Hatfield. In talking with the seller he said it had been bought new by his uncle 15-20 years ago and that it had never been fired. The condition seemed to support this. It's a .50 calibre percussion with a maple stock.

Now I already have two Hatfields at home, one percussion and one flintlock, both in .45 calibre. So I'm thinking, why would I need a third one. Then he said it was being offered for $350 and I figured I can't go wrong. I'm thinking I can't get into any trouble because he surely won't accept my personal check. So of course he says, "Sure I'll take your check."

Oh well, doesn't everyone need three Hatfields?

Not very good pictures, but...

438516.JPG

438517.JPG

Walruskid1:

Here's a picture of my Hatfield flintlock.

322597.JPG

Oops! Just happened to think that this might be appropriate on the percussion forum.

Oh Thanks...
now I got to clean the drool off the keyboard again! :thumbsup: :rotf:

Brett

Looks like a fine candidate for an upgrade to the modern world of Caplocks! :rotf: :grin:

No, posting pictures of those old fashioned locks here is kinda stretching the rules, but we won't hold that against you. After all, we all like looking at old style guns even if they take so long to fire one can light their pipe while waiting. :rotf: :rotf: :)

zonie :)

sure glad you cleared that second picture up. I thought some old guy had altered that fine picture of the Hatfield capper with what ever that second "old gun" is---is it pre-Roman and post Persian era? :rotf:

thats a fine lookin' smokepole. thanks for posting a picture. also a fine looking hatfield flinter. who made the rifles? was hatfield a maker or importers mark/brand name?

Hatfields were originally made by Ted Hatfield but I understand that he sold out. They continued to be produced for a period of time before the company was sold again. It's my understanding that not many of the 3rd generation Hatfields were made and that they used Green Mountain barrels and L&R locks. The present day Blue Ridge rifles by Pedersoli are essentially the same rifle as a Hatfield. I'm betting someone else on the Forum will be able to provide much more information.

Hatfield & McCoy info[url] http://www.blueridgecountry.com/hatmac/hatmac.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a link to a thread I started about my Hatfield.
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/197662/[/url]

They sure are purdy rifles ain't they?
Have you ever had any trouble with the ram rod lugs coming loose?Are yours steel or brass?
Theres also a post concerning how I wanna correct the problems with mine in the gun builder's forum, whatever its called. Anyway its under the "Underlugs As Hooks?"post.
Ed Cain of Cain's Outdoors had some info for me about mine and he also has a wide selection of parts at good prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
brett sr said:
Oh Thanks...
now I got to clean the drool off the keyboard again!

You and me both, Brett! Those are really beautiful guns. I'm gonna start keeping a lookout for one.

Back