• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Gong" Targets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, since I seem to be one of the few in my area doing this traditional shooting thing, I have to take matters into my own hands. I have a large piece of property where I could build my own "woods walk" course to enjoy. Does anyone have any information on building the "gong" targets I've heard of? I need to know what dimensions/materials. Oh - and how are they used - hang from a tree, etc? What other fun targets are out there for me to try? I've never been to a rendezvous, so I'm in the dark here.

Thanks!

I have used them for everything I shoot. The best one we have is a 1'x 1'x 1/2" steel plate hanging from a heavy chain. The chain is welded to heavy pipe that makes a box frame. The frame is welded to an old disk blade (farm equipment). It's nice with the chain cause you can tell where you hit when shooting alone. Don't know if it's anything they use for BP, but it works for what I do. :m2c:

It's set out at 75 yds only because that's where we made it. It's too heavy to move it now.

Find a scrap metal yard and ask if you can look at the barrels of scrap they get from metal fabricating and machine shops. I've found disks from 2" to 10" dia., plates of all sizes, and cut off sections of steel pipe and steel angle and channel. They sell the stuff by the pound, so you can afford a lot of it. 1/4" thick steel is fairly light and easy to drill, but round balls beat it up in a hurry. 3/8" is better, and 1/2" will last a long time shooting it with a ML or a handgun. Cold rolled or mild steel is fine, you don't need armor plate or anything fancy with ML. You can get the folks at Home depot to cut heavy chain into sections about 6" long, then have it welded to the targets, or drill holes in the targets and use 3/8 or 1/2 inch stove bolts. Use links sold in the hardware store on the other end of the chain, and hang them on rebar on steel fence posts. I use large eye bolts through holes drilled in the plate on the fence post to hold the rebar, then drive the posts in upside down.
If you want these things to last you have to make everything very sturdy. A .54 round ball packs a big punch even at 150 yds, and if you try to hang the targets from tree limbs or 2x4 frames they won't stay up long.
Finally, if you want to see the things in the woods, paint them white with a black center. Buy several cans of el cheapo spray paint, and plan on painting them often. We've tried bright colors, including dayglow orange, and these work under some light conditions and become durn near camo under other conditions.
Shooting steel is addictive--I have very little interest in paper targets anymore, except for sighting in and load development.

I have used them for everything I shoot. The best one we have is a 1'x 1'x 1/2" steel plate hanging from a heavy chain. The chain is welded to heavy pipe that makes a box frame.

Be sure it's fixed soild to the frame, in a strong storm it could be "Gong with the wind"... :D :crackup:

:agree: The possibilities are endless when it comes to gongs, just let your imagination run wild. As stated earlier 1/2" steel will last longer. I shoot at a couple of clubs up here that have woodswalks and we have found that instead of chain to hang the gongs on we use this method:
. select the piece of steel that you want to use, weld a 12" piece of 1/2" rebar on the back of it. on the top of the rebar weld a short piece of 1-1/2" pipe parrell to the gong face. Take another piece of 1/2" rebar,2 or 3 feet long an pass it through the pipe, this can be secured to a couple of trees. When you hit these swingers they usually spin several times. For some reason this method seems to require less maintance than chains.
Now don't do away with chains altogether, we sometimes hang a piece of large (2") chain that's a couple of feet long and shoot at that....no gong, just chain,........now that's challenging.
No matter what you choose , I'm sure it will be fun.
Soggy

Baron,

All the suggestions that have been given for types of gongs and how to hang them are all good. At one range in particular that I've shot at they have a wide range of steel targets, not just round or scrap pieces of steel. Some of these targets are very elaborate multiple targets with re-set bars, or targets that reset themselves. Found parts are great targets, old truck springs anchored to the ground make for challenging shots. Swinger targets with heavy pipe welded onto the back of a silohuette gong with rebar running through the pipe and tied to trees or bent horsehoe shape and driven into the ground, works well.
I'm trying to establish an all animal silohuette woods walk at our range. We don't have a lot of space to develop a big walk. The trick is to develop targets that when hit create movement that can be seen readily.

Smokeydays

Just make sure the gongs swing or spin freely.I have had some ricochets from too rigidly mounted gongs,the worst was when it was mounted tight up against a tree.I don't like to have the balls come right back at me.

Back