• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going to flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Thus far my BP gun collection has been exclusively percussion. But recently I found a reliable holy black sourse. I am also wanting something different to shoot. I don't have the money to drop on a custom gun so I'm going to ask your opinions on production flintlock rifles. Who makes a good one for a reasonable price and which brands should I avoid.

Don

well im going throught he same course of action you are my friend, and lemme tell ya the options are endless....as long as your wallet is deep ;) How ever The fine folks here helped me out a ton and maybe i can sum it up for ya. If your loking for factory rifles I'd say your best bet is going to be either a Lyman GPR or a T/c hawken. I spent 2 weeks looking at rifles and they are the true standouts. You could go with the Pedersolli rifle but i think the Locks they use change with the different rifles they make some looked good ...other looked plain cheap. I just purchased a Lyman Gpr and i couldnt be happier.....its a wekk known quality gun and its affordable. I got mine in a kit for abot 450$. I would def reccomend that u stay away from the really cheap rifles like the traditions and such ...i am new to flint locks..but i own a traditions kentucky rifle and its pretty low grade craftsmanship.....hope this helps bud i wish ya luck and good hunting

Not looking for any particular style or period just a decent quality gun that is reliable and won't cost me an arm and a leg. I'll probably will keep shooting my percussion guns mostly and take out the flinter when I want something different to shoot. Although, I keep hearing that flinters are an addiction all on there oun. I hope I can afford a new addiction and the divorce thats likely to follow. :wink:

Don

1. TC Hawken (used)
2. Lyman GPR (used or new)
5. Pedersoli (new or used)
9. Traditions (anything)
10. CVA (anything)

I bought a flint .50 T/C hawken a few years ago and have been very happy with it. My experience was that flinters were very unreliable for the first couple hundred rounds, then become almost as reliable as cartridge guns. The gun really doesn't change, you do. Until this year I only owned the one flintlock, but except for an occasionally volley from a caplock revolver, I never shot the cap and ball guns. graybeard

i would take a look at the Lyman GPR or the T/C ... both are very loose copies of the Hawken, and both will give you several lifetimes of service if properly cared for (remember, guns really have only two enemies: rust, and politicians) ... you can anticipate passing them to your kids if they're well maintained.

the balance of these is more similar to modern centerfire rifles that the balance of a long barreled flinter, which some poeple find off- putting ...

if you go with T/C, you'll have to stay with .50 cal (not that there's anything wrong with that) ... Lyman has (if i remember correctly) a wider variety of calibers - i would pick the .54 if it were my choice. (a .54 won't leave much left of a squirrel, but don't worry - you'll be lookig at a smaller caliber for small game and target soon enough)

to paraphrase the little green guy with the lightsaber: once rocks banged have you, forever will they dominate your rangetime.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

I would also vote for either the Lyman GPR or the TC hawken. The Lyman is more of a copy of the true Hawkens than the TC is though, if that matters to you. Also, and this is purely personal preference, I would shoulder both and see which feels better to you. I have 1 TC hawken in .45 and 3 Lyman GPRs (.50, .54, and one with a GM .54 smoothbore barrel on it), and all these are flinters. So yes, it is an addiction, and as long as you get a good one, this will not be your last one. My preference is in big part due to the Lyman having more drop in the stock than the TC and it just feels more natural to me, as opposed to the TC feeling more like a modern rifle--if that helps explain it. Now someone will come along as say to save your pennies and get a custom, and they're right also, but a TC or a Lyman are also great guns in their own right, just not on the same level as a custom gun. And personally, until you figure our the time in history that interests you, or a specific style of rifle, I would NOT buy a custom yet and stick with the Lyman or TC instead, just because these are good rifles and will keep you shooting and hunting, without the price tag of a custom until you figure out your interest. Dont get me wrong, get a custom by all means, but just wait until you figure out where your interests lie first so you get the RIGHT custom.

Don, What are you primarily going to use the gun for? Hunting? Fooling around at the local range? Maybe going to shooting matches at the local clubs or attending the informal rendezvous they hold? For the first two, either the TC or Lyman GPR will be fine as they are both quality rifles. For the latter, the GPR is preferable as it is better suited to target shooting and would fit in better with a more authentic appearance.

I have a .54 GPR and a .45 Pedersoli Blue Ridge flinter. Both are very fast and reliable. Another rifle to chrck out is the Lyman Trade Rifle. DNR Sports offer the Trade Rifle in .50 and .54 flinter for $359.99. Just another opition :v

A new flint shooter - welcome. Only two kinds of traditional black powder shooters - those that shoot flint, and those that will. Lyman GPR is the best bet - when you want a more correct gun later (and you will) you can always sell it and get most of your money back.

rm

So in other words caplocks are the "gateway drug" to flintlocks :rotf:

Back