• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex VS. KIK?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renovato

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I know everyone hates "which is better" threads, sorry. I'm considering a bulk purchase of powder. I've shot a lot of Goex, but have never tried KIK. I can get KIK for a couple bucks a pound cheaper and on a 25 lb. order, that's a nice savings.

I've heard good things about KIK, but I thought I'd ask and double check. Is there any reason I should choose Goex over KIK? Could you share your experiences?

Thanks for your input. :)

Plink said:
Hi folks,
I know everyone hates "which is better" threads, sorry. I'm considering a bulk purchase of powder. I've shot a lot of Goex, but have never tried KIK. I can get KIK for a couple bucks a pound cheaper and on a 25 lb. order, that's a nice savings.

I've heard good things about KIK, but I thought I'd ask and double check. Is there any reason I should choose Goex over KIK? Could you share your experiences?

I don't know if this is a big deal to anyone else, but I feel good knowing my TC rifles, patches & lube, plus Hornady balls and Goex powder are all made in the good ole USA.
:thumbsup:

I would never buy bulk that which I haven't tried and liked. I'm a Goex guy and I've tried many of the other powders {KIK not being one of them yet}
I've seen many that are decent but I always go back to the tried and true. Put me solid in the Goex column

I find the KIK to be an excellent powder.Its clean burning and produces slightly higher muzzle velocity.The price is very attractive.

P.S.Compared to goex that is.Personally I had a bad experience with Goex some time ago when I got a batch that was very dirty.Scheutzen is my favorite but due to our money falling in value compared to the Euro I decided to give Kik a try and have been very pleased.

roundball said:
I don't know if this is a big deal to anyone else, but I feel good knowing my TC rifles, patches & lube, plus Hornady balls and Goex powder are all made in the good ole USA.

I could not agree more!!! I like American Made Products.

Sharp Shooter said:
roundball said:

Same here! I've thought of trying the others, but can't get myself around to buying stuff not made in the USA. I figger that if we don't support our own, then we might eventually not have a BP company in the USA! SPEND A LITTLE MORE & BUY AMERICAN!

Plink said:
Hi folks,

Politics aside:

If the choice was between Goex Red and KIK, I'd pick KIK.

Between KIK and Graf, I'd pick Graf.

Between Goex Express and Swiss... I'd probably pick Express, but only because the difference, to me, is not signifiant enough to overcome the politics. The difference between Goex red and KIK is.

I heard or read somewhere that Goex isn't mfg. in the USA anymore. I think it may hve been from the Maine Powder House distributer.

I like both KIK and GOEX. I bought 25 lbs. of KIK last year and really like it. The 2F shoots the same as GOEX 3F.

I would give the edge between the two to KIK. It burns a little cleaner and is cheaper than GOEX.

squirejohn said:
I heard or read somewhere that Goex isn't mfg. in the USA anymore. I think it may hve been from the Maine Powder House distributer.

From the history section of the Goex website...
"Made the Same Way in the USA For More Than 150 Years"
[url] www.goexpowder.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
squirejohn said:
The Maine Powder House knows better than that...Goex is made right down there in "Loosy-Anna"...

That is a rumor that the Maine Powder House had nothing to do with. It certainly did not come out of the man who owns and operates the Maine Powder House.

GOEX's Minden, LA plant has been out of production since July 14, 2006. They expect to be back in production around Thanksgiving.

They lost a corning mill on July 14th due to what was suspected to be arson.

I use GOEX Red in 3f but KIK 2f. The KIK seems to burn quite clean and in my smoothbores, it has worked very well. I'm thinking of trying the KIK 3f when my GOEX runs out.

Slake said:
I would never buy bulk that which I haven't tried and liked. I'm a Goex guy and I've tried many of the other powders {KIK not being one of them yet}

Pay no attention to Slake. Go with the bulk order now. If you don't like KIK after the first can, I would consider paying shipping to my place for the other 24. Than way you won't be stuck storing a product you don't like. :grin:

paco97 said:
Sharp Shooter said:
roundball said:

Same here! I've thought of trying the others, but can't get myself around to buying stuff not made in the USA. I figger that if we don't support our own, then we might eventually not have a BP company in the USA! SPEND A LITTLE MORE & BUY AMERICAN!
I am definately with you guys on this one! :thumbsup:

Slake said:
I would never buy bulk that which I haven't tried and liked.

Slake, that's exactly what has me worried. I have no local source for KIK, so I would have to order blind. 25 lbs is a lot of powder if it doesn't work for me.

Plink said:
Slake said:
I would never buy bulk that which I haven't tried and liked.

Slake, that's exactly what has me worried. I have no local source for KIK, so I would have to order blind. 25 lbs is a lot of powder if it doesn't work for me.

There are vendors which allow mix/n/ match on powder orders, and in 5 and 10 lb lots ( although hazmat/shipping will be almost the same as heavier shipments). Get some friends to go in on an order and experiment........you never know what your gun likes if you've never tried it!

roundball,
I've tried other powders, and although
I felt some of them acceptable, I have never
found a reason not to use Goex. The price is
fair, it's very accessable and of high quality
and as you say it is made in the USofA.
snake-eyes :hmm:

I don't really have anyone to split a case with. I've been asking around for a while hoping I do that very thing.

I've looked into Grafs powder also, but it appears they will only ship a single granulation in a bulk order. I need FF and FFF both. KIK is looking pretty good though, so I might just jump in and order. I have a bunch of different guns. It's bound to shoot well in some or most, if not all.

Thanks again for all the input, folks.

Latest posts

Back