• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex Pinnacle Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jboyer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and have appreciated many of the posts and information. I have used black poweder and pyrodex in the past and was wondering if anyone has any experince with the Goex Pinnacle loose powder or EX loads?

Thanks
Jeff

My brother has bought some of the Goex Pinnacle and doesnt care for it. He likes the Pyrodex.
The Pinnacle was really bad at fouling in his trade rifle. So bad he had failures in the patent breech.
It clogged it up with him swabbing between shots.
So he had to clean the barrel on the range and dry it out with a few caps. Eventually he got it going again but he prefers the Pyrodex.
I just break down and buy mine from Graf & Son instead of searching for the reals tuff around town anymore.

I tried some this weekend and was very dissapointed in the performance of this powder :( For one thing it doesn't like coming out of the powder measure very easily, it hangs in there and you have to tap the barrel of the measure to get it to pour out! Also the velocity seems to vary quite alot and its quite dirty ! It took me longer to clean my rifle with this stuff than it does with regular BP and Its quite expensive as well! I'll never buy it again and I have a half+ pound of it left I don't know what to do with :cursing: :cursing: My advice, Don't buy it!! :winking:

I had quite a different experience with Pinnacle. I bought the 3f grade because since it is from APP/Goex combined I figured the 2f would be very course. You posts confirm that.

In my traditional rifles I shot well over 30 shots without problem and the accuracy was very good. I also tried it in flintlocks... nope not good. You'd have to duplex it.

I do agree it is to expensive when I get as good a preformance with simple Goex..

Because shooters who are new to Blackpowder shooting may not understand the term "duplex" as it applies to muzzleloading rifles I think I should make the following comments:

Modern Rifle shooters use the term "duplex" for special handloaded cartridges in which various smokeless powders are layered in the cartridge case.

The term "duplex" used in the above post refers to using a small amount (10-15 grains) of real Blackpowder, loaded prior to loading the synthetic powder. This puts real black powder in the location of the touch hole on the flintlock rifle so that the pan flash can ignite it.

Loading a flintlock this way allows the use of the modern Black powder substitute powder for the main charge. Black powder "duplex" loading will helps conserve the real black powder because it uses much less of it. This can be important in areas where Black powder is difficult to get.

If a duplex load is used in a flintlock firearm, the amount of the real black powder's weight needs to be subtracted from the total powder charge weight.

"Duplex load" as used on this Forum DOES NOT MEAN using smokeless powder of any kind, in any amount in a muzzleloading rifle.
Using smokeless powder in any traditional muzzleloading rifle can kill you and those standing around you.

zonie :)

The term "duplex" used in the above post refers to using a small amount (10-15 grains) of real Blackpowder, loaded prior to loading the synthetic powder. This puts real black powder in the location of the touch hole on the flintlock rifle so that the pan flash can ignite it.

Great explanation but you didn't say why duplex?

Black powder has an ignition temperature of 350 degrees F while synthetic powders have a require a higher temp. The ignition temperature of Pyrodex is 600 deg F.

This is per my 1976 copy of the Lyman Muzzleloader's Handbook.

Old Coot

Thanks for the information on duplexing and the differences in ignition temps of black powder and the subs. :bow: On the pyrodex pellets, it appears like there's a ring of blackpowder on the base which would help them ignite. Works good in my inline but I've still had trouble in them with my traditional percussion muzzleloader. I've found blackpowder to be the best by far in my flintlock.

Jeff

One of my buds has an in-line and uses the pyro-pellets. I tryed a few loads using them in my side-lock capper, no luck. I've had good luck with loose pyro, I whack the breech area opposite the lock with the palm of my hand after loading powder to knock some grains into the drum channel, then load my wad and PRB, instant BOOM!
Those pellets are expensive too.

There is very little difference between the Pinnicle 2f and 3c powders compared to other powders using that grading system. I tried it for several months this year and found it accurate but lacking in energy. It shot good from my GPR pistol and poorly from my rifle. I ran some ball through my chronigraph and found it to be 30% slower than GOEX. I talked with the GOEX Rep at the NRA show about it and she admitted it was very similar to clean shot, except it is black, and was created to for those who were looking for an easy cleaning, low velocity and low corrosion type powder. I have a hard time getting Goex and was looking for something that would shoot good in both rifle and pistol.

Back