• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex Cartridge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russianblood

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What size granules is Goex Cartridge. I've heard that it's between 2f and 3f and then the local gunshop that still stocks real black powder said it's the same as 1f. So which one is it?

BAsically, Cartridge grade is FFFg powder that has been very carefully screened. Its not quite the same granulation as FFFg powder, but its closer to it than to any other grade.

GOEX Cartridge actually started out as regular 2Fg powder that was heaved back into the polishing barrel for a little additional edge rounding and polishing topped off by a second coating of graphite over the one that had been applied during the first drying and polishing.
That makes it just a wee bit smaller than 2Fg but not nearly as fine as 3Fg.

They are noted for Bs descriptions.

If you go back to issues of Blackpowder Hunting magazine in 1994 when they came out with CTG you will see a whole lot of BS given for it.

I looked at it under the computer microscope and ran screen analysis on both CTG and regular 2Fg. Generally you would get about 5% more through the top screen on a screen analysis. The computer microscope showed the greater degree of grain edge rounding in the CTG. The computer microscope also showed the second coating of graphite to be shiny and not uniform over the surfaces of the grains. Shiny in patches. Over a dull grey coating of graphite.

The silly part is that they have done a good job improving their powder and to take care of what has become something of a niche market. Gone are the days of 1 powder for all guns.

But when you look at all of the hi-tech nonsence with the BP subs it is almost as if the customers demand a high-tech explanation of a product or they won't buy it.

My problem is that I worked for 37 years in industry. Mainly around chem engineers and PhDs. Developed this aversion to fancy descriptions for things that are really kinda simple.
Of course I am the guy who describes my patches as interlocking cellulose fiber sabots.

Mad Monk said:
GOEX Cartridge actually started out as regular 2Fg powder that was heaved back into the polishing barrel for a little additional edge rounding and polishing topped off by a second coating of graphite over the one that had been applied during the first drying and polishing.
That makes it just a wee bit smaller than 2Fg but not nearly as fine as 3Fg.

So what does all this do? I was thinking of using it as a "bridge" powder. I use 2f in my NW trade gun and blunderbuss and 3f in every other rifle and smoothbore I have. I thought I could start using CTG in all of them if it was similar to a 2.5f powder. I think I'll buy a pound of it at the local BP supplier and give it a try.

Because the granules are now round, and more uniform in size, they pack or compact well in cartridges, and will do so in your percussion guns. There is no reason to spend the extra money to buy cartridge grade for your flintlocks, as you should not compact the powder in them. You do eliminate the fines you find in FFFg powder, and to some extent, in FFg powder, but I hardly think that is worth the extra cost. you can buy screens for a couple of dollars, and screen your own FFg and FFFg powders to get rid of the fines. You will produce a small quantity of 4Fg powder that you can use for priming powder on those clear sunny days on the range. Then go back to using FFg or FFFG powder for your prime the rest of the time, and when you are in the field.

Russian...

I used to buy GOEX Ctg. by the case because I shot a LOT of BPCR. Well, circumstances changed and I no longer a 520 yard range out my back door. Big bore BPC rifles aren't nearly as much fun on my 100 yard range as they were on my 520 yard. I did still have about 18 lbs. of GOEX Ctg. tho. It works fine in muzzleloaders and except for 5 lbs. I've set back for cartridge loading it's all I use in my 45 cal. and up ML's. Works just fine and I do believe it burns cleaner.

Having said that, I have to agree with paul in that I don't know if it justifies the expense. You could certainly use it in your firearms and be concerned with only one powder tho. That ain't a bad idea.

I have to agree with Mad Monk....there's lots of BS out there when it comes to powders and especially GOEX, s good as their produce is.

Vic

Latest posts

Back