• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder Manufacturers Comparisons?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger94

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello Everyone - sorry if this has been covered, which I am sure it has...

I am getting very low on my black powder: Goex 2F & Goex 3F. I don't think I will be able to make it until the new reinvigorated Goex comes back to life.

I need to restock, and was looking for some general comments on differences between the other manufacturers?

I will be ordering online - also where are the best places to order from?

Thanks!!!

Ranger94

Black Powder

Coonie’s Black Powder

Maine Powder House

Back Creek Gun Shop

Buffalo Arms Company

Powder Inc.

Graf’s

Bear River Products

"Best" is a very subjective term. My personal preference is Swiss, and I've purchased it from a variety of sources. Currently, Buffalo Arms (who I've used multiple times) has both Swiss and Schuetzen in stock in most granulations. However, if ordering online, I'd recommend getting a larger order, to help offset the HazMat fees. If you've got friends, a group buy would make that easier.

Back Creek.

If you're not into competition shooting, Scheutzen is a great powder. Scheutzen is pretty much the same as standard Goex.

Swiss is hands down the best going. Old Eynsford, a Goex premium product, was designed to compete with Swiss in the competition world. It shoots somewhat similar to Swiss in terms of fouling and being energetic but never has held records or was nearly as widely used as Swiss.

Personally, I use Scheutzen while doing instructional work but for competition shooting, it's Swiss. Goex as a brand doesn't register with me anymore.

Past that, caps can have a huge effect on accuracy.

Powderinc.com was a few dollars less than Maine Powder house when I placed an order earlier this year. Haven't looked at Powder Inc recently to see what they have in stock right now. I know Pauline at Maine Powder House recently received a stock order and has been filling back orders. Swiss at the Powder House is going for $29.95 a pound, Powderinc was $26.95 for Swiss earlier this year but had more limited stock then than the Powder House did

Most places indicate that an adult signature for the delivery will be required. Buffalo Arms and Powder Inc. had no issues with shipping to a UPS Access point so that I could sign for the deliveries there (and avoid porch pirates). Pauline refused to ship to a UPS access point unless the business owner contacted her stating they were good with receiving such materials and had arranged for safe storage of same. Finally she told me that I could opt to have it delivered to my house with no signature required if that was what I wanted. Not bashing anyone, and I would happily purchase from any of these merchants again, just putting some information out there that might be helpful.

Powderinc currently lists Swiss only in 1,1.5 and 4f just over 28 dollars a pound for a full case. Costs more if you buy a smaller amount.

Latest posts

Back