• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gifted a nice SXS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilot - nothing to do with shooting, but I love the look of the dog in your avatar. I've often thought that a dog that looked like that might wind his way around my heart, but so far it hasn't happened to me.

Now that would look cool except that during the RUT One Bull Moose attacks all the other Bull Moose and my little truck would lose that contest.
Maine Mossel.jpg

How much weight did that add to the gun hawkeye? And did it alter balance?

I have no idea how much weight it added as I never weighed it but it did alter the balance. It's slower to swing now but I expect one could get used to it. It saved the gun and I now have a total of $250 in it since I inherited it 50 years ago.

I don't know how I missed this thread. Last winter I bought an old shotgun, probably a bit older than this one, barrels are 1850's. Like yours, most of the bore looks great, except right at the breech. Mine might not be quite as bad, but it isn't that much better, especially when you consider what I found in the threads of one of the breech plugs.

I knew I would rather blow mine up than hang it on the wall, so it was an easy choice for me. Mines a 10 gauge, but in late winter I loaded it up with 2 3/4 oz of shot, and I think 160 grains of powder, possibly 180 grains. I fired both barrels with this twice. It did not even flinch. The key is to tie the barrels down, not the stock, or it may crack. Since that day I've put 3 pounds of powder through the gun this year. Maybe half have been relatively light. The other half have been hunting loads. 1 5/8 oz of shot has turned out to be kind of the sweet spot, and 100 gr of powder as well. I've already fired a 10 pound bag of #4 bismuth at ducks and geese this year, which is about 100 shots. This is the only shotgun I plan to hunt with this year. With any luck, I've got a nice hefty load of 00 buck ready for a Wyoming doe in about a month.

I don't know how I missed this thread. Last winter I bought an old shotgun, probably a bit older than this one, barrels are 1850's. Like yours, most of the bore looks great, except right at the breech. Mine might not be quite as bad, but it isn't that much better, especially when you consider what I found in the threads of one of the breech plugs.

I knew I would rather blow mine up than hang it on the wall, so it was an easy choice for me. Mines a 10 gauge, but in late winter I loaded it up with 2 3/4 oz of shot, and I think 160 grains of powder, possibly 180 grains. I fired both barrels with this twice. It did not even flinch. The key is to tie the barrels down, not the stock, or it may crack. Since that day I've put 3 pounds of powder through the gun this year. Maybe half have been relatively light. The other half have been hunting loads. 1 5/8 oz of shot has turned out to be kind of the sweet spot, and 100 gr of powder as well. I've already fired a 10 pound bag of #4 bismuth at ducks and geese this year, which is about 100 shots. This is the only shotgun I plan to hunt with this year. With any luck, I've got a nice hefty load of 00 buck ready for a Wyoming doe in about a month.
Yeah, I remember your case too.
I think I said just go shoot it to yours aswell.

Folks, it's black powder from a vented barrel! You wanna see some of the sewer pipe sealed nitro barrels some farmers still use !

Yeah, I remember your case too.
I think I said just go shoot it to yours aswell.

Folks, it's black powder from a vented barrel! You wanna see some of the sewer pipe sealed nitro barrels some farmers still use !
Smoothy, shot one of those Tractor shed guns for years. Then I found the Powell P/F in the old dairy and lots of bangers when I was a little old boy. Make My Day!! ( local council pest officer had one with a hole in the right tube with a spot of weld added by local black smith. It was war time so all our servicable sporting gun and rifles had been requsitiond.. No new sporting guns) ..O.D..

You can have an liner put in that will reduce the bore diameter. Those liners can usually be choked to liking. If it’s a 12, it may end up a 16. However. It would be a useable 16. The lines don’t add much weight. The original barrel is polished and brought to one diameter and the liner is driven in and soldered. I have a 28b that was lined to 410 because the interior of Damascus barrels was neglected.

When first produced damascus barrels were considered superior to fluid steel and were priced higher (kind of like damascus knives now). Check out old catalogs for Remington and others for proof.
They have received a bad reputation due to later cheap knock offs, poorly made and years of neglect and then shot with shot shells loaded with "watch me shoot this goose out of the sky at 150 yards" loads

My father who grew up poor and shot old guns made during the depression hated damascus barrels and assumed they would fail at some point in time, I on the other hand have shot many of them with no issues.

Load them up with loads they were intended to shoot and not the 3.5 inch shell equivalents and they work fine.

Back